glasspar g3 worth restoring?

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I looked at a glasspar g3 today and overall it looks pretty solid. But i noticed cracked fiberglass at transom area, is this repairable and if so is it a big job? Transom seems very solid. Check out what i think is the ugliest trailer i've ever seen!

The g3
100E3133.jpg

100E3132.jpg

100E3131.jpg

THE BAD!! Is it worth repairing?
100E3137.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: glasspar g3 worth restoring?

YES, YES, and YES. The G3 has a cult following and is one of the few restos where you may actually get your money back at sale. The damage to that hull is not really that great (from the photo) and that transom repair does not appear to be too big of a job.

While it was not rated for a lot of horsepower and is really a calm water boat, it does make a classy Sunday ride.

Curious: What is the asking price?

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

$200

He knows i love the classics and might go a little lower. $200 is a steal huh?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yeah. Once you restore it and put a period engine on it it will be worth a lot more. Classy little boat.

I just acquired a "James Bond" Glastron GT 150 and have started stripping it in preparation for a complete resto. For my next restoration I was going to start looking now for a G3.

Attachments

• 102_0267.jpg
    102_0267.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 102_0263.jpg
    102_0263.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always thought the G3 was one of the most beautiful small boats ever. Replacing the transom is not really a difficult job. You can look in the restoration section here on the details. And the trailer looks like it does an OK job for the size of the boat. I'd go for it!!

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If i remove the rub molding to split the boat is it re-usable? If not is there a source for the rub molding.

If i remove the rub molding to split the boat is it re-usable? If not is there a source for the rub molding.

Most of the time it is. The plastic insert should pull out without too much effort. You can often make the insert more flexible, if need be, by heating it with a hair dryer. It can sometimes be difficult to locate a good match for new rubrail, so do the best job you can removing the existing one and storing it out of harms way.

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked at the boat on sunday. The owner was not home but i talked to him on the phone and pretty much told him i wanted it. Monday when i contacted him he sold it to someone else.