Mariner 28'

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so i just bought this 28' mariner 1983, starboard engine is blown, port has less than 100 hours on it, got a great deal on it! I need to make a 60 mile trip to get her home on 1 motor, Im figuring running between 1600- 1800 rpm prob 7-8 mph, here are my questions:

Any issues im not considering running on one motor??

Anyone have an idea of what kind of fuel consumption i might be lookin at?

figure if I fill one of the 75 gallon tanks i ought to be fine. oh and seas wont be an issue as i am in shallow gulf waters!

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mariner 28'

First of all, congrats. The 28 Mariner is a nice boat. A dockmate has exactly the same year/model. Great space for its size.

Any issues im not considering running on one motor??
Yes-
-the Mariner has a fair amount of windage and will be difficult to control in a breeze on 1 engine. Move the boat on a calm day, and time your arrival at slack tide (if that's an issue).
-take at least 1 crewmember to help handle the boat around the docks.
-arrange for your destination dock to be easy to approach- like a side-to tie up rather than a slip. I guarantee the boat will NOT back down in a straight line on 1 engine.
-the transmission of the 'dead' motor- some are water-cooled and will overheat as the propeller turns the shaft. I have velvet drives and keep a large pipe wrench onboard to lock the shaft if I ever need to run on one engine for any distance. As an alternative, you might want to consider removing the prop on that shaft before departing.
-make sure your good engine and ground tackle are up to snuff for obvious reasons.

figure if I fill one of the 75 gallon tanks i ought to be fine. oh and seas wont be an issue as i am in shallow gulf waters!
The boat probably has crossover valves so you can balance the fuel load and use each tank. Make sure you have at least 1/3 more fuel than you think you need.
Don't assume flat seas. Often, shallow water can be the roughest.
Good luck!

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! yes i love the layout the boat! think we will be quite happy with it! More than 2 on the fly bridge will be a change!

I will have my wife with me. my approach to my dock is down a 50' wide canal, i would normaly turn her around just past my dock and then port side up to my dock but depending on how she handles I may just go starboard up. I was figuring 6 hrs at 6-7 gallons an hour, kinda based that on other posts i have seen about fuel consumption. there are a few fuel stops along the way if i run low!

Tommyfmu

Seaman

Keep in mind that the natural tendency will be for the boat to constantly pull towards stbd, so you'll probably have to keep the rudder towards port a lot to compensate. Right turns will be easy; left turns might give you some trouble, especially at very slow speeds. Do not assume, as its getting too late, that you can turn to port. If you have SeaTow or BoatUS tow (or similar), it might be worth it to give them a call at the end to get you in to your dock or whatever.

79santacruz

Cadet

thats is just what i did when i brought mine home on one engine after i purchased it i only had to go 35 miles but i went out about halfway and called boatus and they were great

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats is just what i did when i brought mine home on one engine after i purchased it i only had to go 35 miles but i went out about halfway and called boatus and they were great

Ill use that as a last result! i hate getting towed in!

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I made the trip! Slow 5-6mph but we made it! we did have one issue, clogged the filter going into the carb, but i was able to remove it and go on! We love the room on her! Now the work begins pulling the starboard motor and rebuilding it!

Tommyfmu

Seaman

Now the work begins pulling the starboard motor and rebuilding it!

Are your engines pulled through the rear deck or are they inside the salon? I'm having my port engine replaced on my aft cabin and then have to remove the sliding rear door and lift in the salon.

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are your engines pulled through the rear deck or are they inside the salon? I'm having my port engine replaced on my aft cabin and then have to remove the sliding rear door and lift in the salon.

no mine are under the back deck! easy to get to compared to yours!

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMG_0073.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0074.jpg

some pics from our trip!