Water in Fuel?? Bad vent?

boomboom

Cadet
So the plug got left out on the trailer yesterday and needless to say we took on some water. The boat got on plane twice from the ramp(7min run time tops) then started sputtering and stalled. Found back compartment full of water which ment water above fuel tank. Ran bilge and emergency bilge and started paddling. Engine finally started after 30-40min but engine sounded quiet and kept stalling shortly after putting in gear. By the time i got back to the ramp it drove up on the trailer by itself which takes some rpms, water was receding to just below tank. My first thought was air leak in the fuel line between engine and tank which may have sucked in. It got replaced today and fittings were tight and no signs of abbrasions. Hoses were dated 1989. When i pulled the hose off the tank it gasps for air. So then i thought maybe the vent line has a leak in it and it sucked water in? I did find that the fuel filter had a crack in it but only leaked when i really pumped the bulb, didnt leak when running on the muffs in drive way. I'm trying to decide if i have water in the tank or not, what color should it turn...? Its getting drained regardless but i wanna know if its there and where it came from....i know i know it came from the lake! Thanks for the help guys.

1991 Lowe 1700v
17ft
1991 70hp Johnson

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Water in Fuel?? Bad vent?

Depending on where the crack is it won't leak when the motor is running as fuel is being sucked thru it. It may be sucking air i causing your problems.

boomboom

Cadet
Re: Water in Fuel?? Bad vent?

Thanks for the advice
I was wondering if it would suck air at wot and it may have. That little filter has been replaced but do i need that if i have a water separator. Any idea why it would "gasp" when i pull the fuel line off the tank? It sucked or blew but didnt do it long enought to put my finger over it to tell, or to figure out if it was coming from the hose or the tank? Is there some kind of valve in the pick up... is that the anti siphon ive read about? Boat ran like a dream today. Like i said i replaced the filter, the line between the tank and bulb.. checked the vent and hose, added a can of seafoam and thats it. I think i got lucky! My fishin buddy was thinking that the tank may have floated pinching off the fuel line, who knows but im stilled confused about the gasp from the tank. maybe thats normal?

Thanks for the help