out drive removal help

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys I am in need of some advice here. I am trying to remove the outdrive from my recent purchase and it is being way sturborn. I have boots disconnected and the 6 nuts removed from the studs and the dang thing will not come off. I have tried turning the motor over by hand and trying again with a big hammer and a 2x4 so no damage is done. And still no progress and I am getting frustrated big time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW it is a model 120 outdrive and serial #2262195 if any of that helps. This is on a 1967 Islander.
Thanks, Kelly

cr2k

Captain
Re: out drive removal help

What would help is brand and model. Otherwise it's like saying hey I need a cam for my green 4 door car.

I am assuming it may be a Mercruiser? (120) If so you NEED to put the control in forward gear to remove and replace the drive, other wise (if not already) damage will be done to the shift parts.

KellyC

It is a Mercruiser 120 outdrive as you said. I thought I had added that part but I thinkthe frustraton was setting in and missed that part. I do have it in gear as you said but the stupid thing does not want to come off.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It's probably rusted/ corroded together...
Hook the trim rams back up, 'n see if they'll push it off...

KellyC

The rams are toast, previous owner told me so and that they do not make them any more. I am working on finding some at this time as well as lines for them as they are broken as well. But that is a very good idea if I could make them work....:(

Bondo

Staff member

Ok,... Then pick up the drive, insert a piece of 2x4 up under it near the transom,+ SLAM it down against the wood...

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Rap on the input shaft. Sounds to be stuck on the coupler.

KellyC

Ok, have tried every thing that I have been told to try. I cannot reach the input shaft to rap on it as suggested. I talked to a mechanic today and he said that I am probably going to have to pull the motor to be able to get the outdrive out. He said that it is probably stuck on the coupler at the engine or in the gimble bearing. Anyone have any other ideas to toss out there, don't really want to have to pull the motor if I don't have to. With every thing that I have tried I still have not been able to get the outdrive to budge even a little bit. Any thing that can help would really be appreciated before I go find a cutting torch and go to town from frustration. Thanks all.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

get the penetrating spray out and spray it on shaft at rear of engine where it connects at coupling and at gimbal bearing.sounds like no maintenance had been carried out in years.releasing engine mounts still will not free a shaft stuck in the coupling and you will have to persist at whatevers at your disposal.

fsamie1

Cadet

what I do with mine when too hard to remove is loosen front engine mounts and then try to pull it out