90 hp evinrude traces of water on plugs

andrew87

Recruit
Hey there... I have a 1995 90 hp Evinrude. The motor was missing a bit but then running well for a few kms then missing again.... removed plugs and found traces of water with plugs being very dirty/corroded.... replaced plugs and runs like a dream with 130 psi on all cylinders.

Someone told me that it is likely I have a tiny crack in the exhaust or under the power head... any advice on what I should do and likely expenses to have it repaired?

What would happen if I kept using the boat and just replaced the plugs every 4 or 5 trips?

Cheers...:confused:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90 hp evinrude traces of water on plugs

Typically if you have water entering the combustion chamber the plugs will be very clean with no carbon on them. Plus changing them would make no difference in how it runs if you had a leaking gasket.

I'm not saying you don't have a leaking gasket, but what you describe doesn't lead in that direction (other than you said there appeared to be water on the plugs).

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you are using oil injection you might want to check the tank. If it has water in it the pump will pump water just like it'll pump oil. Not unusual especially if the oil tank has a remote deck fill.

andrew87

Recruit

If you are using oil injection you might want to check the tank. If it has water in it the pump will pump water just like it'll pump oil. Not unusual especially if the oil tank has a remote deck fill.

Oil tank has no water in it.... removed new plugs after about an hours run. Probably travelled a good 15 kms in it.... 3 plugs looked relatively normal but bottom plug on port side showed slight corrosion.... a friend has a special camera and tv screen and had a look in the pots... bottom port pot showed evidence of water (used in the sea, although always flushed properly after use).

He remembers vaguely Evinrudes having a problem with corrosion under the powerhead thereby leading to a small crack/leak or the exhaust having a crack in it.... did all the checks for a leaking head gasket but all seems good....

Any thoughts or does it look like I'm going to have to get the motor pulled down and hope a welding job will fix it or worst case a new motor....:(

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Typically if you have water entering the combustion chamber the plugs will be very clean with no carbon on them. Plus changing them would make no difference in how it runs if you had a leaking gasket.

I'm not saying you don't have a leaking gasket, but what you describe doesn't lead in that direction (other than you said there appeared to be water on the plugs).

I had a plug that had salt deposts on the plug... I had wondered what it was, many said it might be aluminum, but one guy suggested salt, so I tasted it, sure enough it was salt( not that ill taste everything to check what it is!!)

I had run my motor in salt water for many trip before that...

for sure I figure it was coming in with the cooling water. I had never noticed the motor running badly..as a matter of fact it always ran great..

do you think that was a slow leak? after I changed plugs I never found it again.

the OP didnt say what model number he has, but if he has head gaskets then i know it isnt like mine.

bob

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

In the first post you said water on the plugs. Now you say it's on #4 only so we'll assume it's on one plug only. Now, which 1995 90 do you have, a crossflow or looper?

andrew87

Recruit

In the first post you said water on the plugs. Now you say it's on #4 only so we'll assume it's on one plug only. Now, which 1995 90 do you have, a crossflow or looper?

How can I tell the difference.... if this helps the model number is HE90EXEOC and the engine number G03881771.

There was evidence of water having being on all plugs but mainly the bottom 2 plugs, especially port side.... top 2 plugs showed a lot less corrosion.... bottom port plug so heavily corroded and built up that gap was closed off....

even with plugs like this the motor fired up and started first crank every time....

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You have a looper engine. Possible you have a leaky head o-ring seal.

Last edited:

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont htink were talking water here. I'am thinking weak or no spark. On my 88 special v-4 one plug had what appeared to be "corrosion" and the gap was almost closed. Checked spark and ended up my stator was going bad and spark was coming and going. no spark equals big time deposits build up. Catch it quick and you can save motor if thats what it is. New stator fixed mine, boat has never run better.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

You have a looper engine. Possible you have a leaky head o-ring seal.

I have two similar motors and have taken the heads off both and it looks like the seal under the head for the thermostats leaks often....the o-rings certainly could leak...especially if not sealed well when installed...the head is other wise aluminum on aluminum and water leakage is possible all around, but the O-rings are supposed to keep it out of the cylinder... there are several places on the head that are supposed to seal holes in the block that have water to them...if they get by those spots and the o-ring is bad....then you have water getting in the cylinder..

best to hope for that.... if a the head was previously cut the thermostat seal might be proud and keep the head from sealing onto the O-ring....

Id pop the heads, isnt that much money for o-rings and a t-stat seal... and sealant

bob