out drive removal help

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys I am in need of some advice here. I am trying to remove the outdrive from my recent purchase and it is being way sturborn. I have boots disconnected and the 6 nuts removed from the studs and the dang thing will not come off. I have tried turning the motor over by hand and trying again with a big hammer and a 2x4 so no damage is done. And still no pregress and I am getting frustrated big time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW it is a model 120 outdrive and serial #2262195 if any of that helps. Thanks, Kelly

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: out drive removal help

NB probably has you all hooked up, but in the future, post your engine/drive questions in the I/O repair forum. Not that the SC guys can't help but the I/O guys are gurus and will answer you much more quickly.

North Beach

Commander

If you have the 6 bolts out, smack it with a rubber hammer. As soon as you find an opening drive a screwdriver between the outdrive and the bell housing. BE Careful!!!!!

North Beach

Commander

Kelly, here's what you're probably dealing with. Build up from salt water. Hope this helps.

Outdrive55.jpg

Outdrive66.jpg

You might want to try prying up on the thing.

KellyC

Dang work gets in the way of doing things that you want to do. I want to go and get the outdrive off but it is going to have to wait until Wednesday before I can do any wrech turning or hammer pounding on it. Thanks for the pics NB, and I am betting that you are right about the issue I am having.

North Beach

Commander

Yeah Kelly. You can see mine was corroded up pretty good!

KellyC

Ok, have tried every thing that I have been told to try. I cannot reach the input shaft to rap on it as suggested. I talked to a mechanic today and he said that I am probably going to have to pull the motor to be able to get the outdrive out. He said that it is probably stuck on the coupler at the engine or in the gimble bearing. Anyone have any other ideas to toss out there, don't really want to have to pull the motor if I don't have to. With every thing that I have tried I still have not been able to get the outdrive to budge even a little bit. Any thing that can help would really be appreciated before I go find a cutting torch and go to town from frustration. Thanks all.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Welcome to the insanity..

I saw your same post in the I/O section..
How many times did you lift up the OD and slam her down with the 2x4 laying across the bellhousing "ears"?

I had a rustbucket boat before and it took a good 20 to 30 slams before she budged an inch!
Soaking it in PB spray wont hurt either...

I have never done this..but can you hook up a come along and try that? It will keep constant reverse pull while you persuade it with a RUBBER mallet..then as NB says a prybar/screwdriver to help get it off?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Outboard guys -take note- I have had Outboard lower sections that difficult to remove But I still prefer them to a I/O. ( Sorry for the WHAT???? post)

KellyC

OK, no way to hook a come a long to the outdrive and still cannot pry it off. I have had penetraiting oil on it since last night and still no go. Tried the smacking it on wood again and did it a lot with no difference. Am bought ready to get some explosives and blow the damn thing up. Yes frustration is setting in big time.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

apologies, but I didn't see it mentioned, and dont know what you got for PMs, It does need to be in Forward Gear Else you wont budge it.

If you cant put in forward, drop the lower as the shift shaft is in the lower section and thats' what prevents the unit from being removed

Becarefull when prying with screwdrivers, you can damage the sealing surfaces.

If its truely stuck, then the only alternative is to pull the engine, hopefully you have enough room to slide it off the drive shaft, it does tilt up quite abit.

good luck, yea, I've had to do a few like that.

KellyC

Yes I do have it in forward gear, at least I think I do. Have thethrottle lever all the way forward and was hoping that was in forward gear, that was the logical position I thought. Dont know as I have never had the boat in the water. Yea starting to think that it is going to have to pull the motor. Probably pull fly wheel before pulling the motor as the shaft will be stuck in the coupler that is in the flywheel and will not be able to pull motor if this is the case. Damn things just seem to be harder and harder. I knew it needed work when I bought it but now starting to wonder if it was really worth it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It's worth it. OLD I/O's are just a pain in the butt when they haven't been regularly serviced. Get through this, get everything up to snuff and as long as you maintain it you'll be good to go.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Yes I do have it in forward gear, at least I think I do. Have thethrottle lever all the way forward and was hoping that was in forward gear, that was the logical position I thought. Dont know as I have never had the boat in the water. Yea starting to think that it is going to have to pull the motor. Probably pull fly wheel before pulling the motor as the shaft will be stuck in the coupler that is in the flywheel and will not be able to pull motor if this is the case. Damn things just seem to be harder and harder. I knew it needed work when I bought it but now starting to wonder if it was really worth it.

When you have the throttle lever all the way FWD..
Look back at the cable and make sure she is moving the shift arm..If your cable is broken or disconnected, you'll wont get it in fwd with the lever.

Crawl UNDER the OD, look up into the space where the OD shift foot attaches to the shift arm. The foot is an upside down "L"..

In fwd it should be at around the 1 oclock position looking at it from under there..

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

It's worth it. OLD I/O's are just a pain in the butt when they haven't been regularly serviced. Get through this, get everything up to snuff and as long as you maintain it you'll be good to go.

+ infinity

skargo

Banned

I removed mine this morning. It seemed to be on pretty good. I just picked the drive up with a jack, and it started to lift the boat, and she separated slick as can be.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I removed mine this morning. It seemed to be on pretty good. I just picked the drive up with a jack, and it started to lift the boat, and she separated slick as can be.

Must be all that Munky water..;)