1985 Evinrude 50hp E50BELCO Prop needed

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I need a new prop. The aluminum I have is a three blade 11.75" diameter with 17 pitch prop. It has been recommended to do the same size in a composite piranha prop or keep with aluminum or switch to a SS 12.25" diameter 15 pitch Powertech SRG3. My only concern with the SS is how the weight of the prop will affect my motors gears. I have read that adjusting the idle speed with a SS helps with the "Clunk" that is typically heard or use a hub kit. What are your suggestions on the matter? Basically I don't want to tear up my motor by switching to a SS prop but also what the most performance from 50hp.

The boat is a 1986 15.5' Sea Nymph Fish n Ski (Restore in progress here on Iboats)

Any information is appreciated! Thanks in advance

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Evinrude 50hp E50BELCO Prop needed

The prop election would depend on your performance with your present prop.
If the 17 is dinged up you may be able to get it repaired and do some test runs to get us your present max rpm and speed.Don't worry about a ss damaging your" gears"As with any prop be sure your idle is set to the low end of its given range.
When shifting do it crisply not jamming it into gear nor dragging it too slowly into gear. For my pocketbook a SS is to expensive for the results compared to a good al prop. I've seen lots of good posts on the Solas Amita 3 and 4 bld props for the money.I have no experience with the others.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply. Ill try to post a pic of the prop its kinda rough so I don't know. I have the original owners manual and the max RPM for the 40 and 50 models is 4500 to 5500. So the recommendation is to trial the current prop if in decent enough shape to decide? What if the current prop isnt good? What would be the best method of deciding then? thanks for the help... its greatly appreciated!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If you get the prop repaired, likely possible, your numbers will tell best what you need.If a prop change is needed you can keep the other as a spare.My gut feeling is the 15 is too much but you really need some hard numbers to tell and to know better the right selection.