Johnson 1.5 runs for a minute then dies

sefuller

Cadet
I have a newly acquired 1968 Johnson 1.5hp SC 10S. The previous owner stripped the spark plug threads, so I removed the head and installed a helicoil kit and a new J6 plug. The motor started with a couple pulls in a bucket so I took it to the lake where it delivered me halfway to my mooring and then died. It would not start and stay running for more than a few seconds. Today I bought a carb kit and rebuilt the carb. I didn't have any specs, so I set the float parallel with the top of the inverted bowl. I dismantled the carb completely, cleaned everything with carb cleaner and blew it out. The old packing washers were badly disintegrated. I have fresh gas at 50:1 and the tank is clean. There is a screen filter in the tank, but no inline filter. When I put it in the bucket, it started in a couple pulls, but did the same thing - ran for a minute or two then died. I suspected the coil at that point, so I put a spark plug test light inline with the plug, and waited an hour before trying again. It ran for it's usual minute and a half with good spark, but then died. It was still lighting the test light for as long as the flywheel was turning, so it doesn't seem like the coil is failing. (?) The fuel line is supplying gas to the carb, so I am stumped as to where to look next? I did pull the flywheel and cleaned and verified the points are at .020. The impeller looks newer, and is spitting water out while running, and I can keep my hand on the underside of the engine where the exhaust is, so I don't suspect overheating.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 1.5 runs for a minute then dies

Use a squirt bottle and squirt fuel into the carb just as it stalls, if it picks up and runs, you know you have a fuel delivery problem. It sounds like something is restricting fuel flow to the carb, maybe the needle and seat.

sefuller

Cadet

I tried the squirt bottle and was able to keep it running! I guess I will start at the tank and work back to the carb, but I don't see any potential problems in the tank. Any other suspect areas I should check?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Check the shut off valve on the bottom of the tank.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Pull the fuel line from the tank at the carb and check fuel flow. If you have good flow the problem is in the carb. When you overhauled the carb, did you remove the core plug on top of the carb and clean the passages in there? MAke sure you clean every passage. The static setting for the jets are
Low speed = lightly seated and out 1 1/2 turn
High speed = lightly seated and out 3/4 turn
Fine tune with the engine running in the water.

sefuller

Cadet

I did not remove any of the plugs in the carb - in fact I have never removed one on any carb rebuild and don't even know how! I guess in this case maybe I will have to learn. I did pull the hose and had fuel at the carb, so I guess it's off with the carb again. What is behind the plugs?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Air passages, if they are plugged it will cause problems.

sefuller

Cadet

I tore the carb apart again, removed the expansion plug and cleaned everything again. I did not notice anything that appeared to be causing problems, but upon reassembling and installing it, it does run as it should now. I also installed an inline fuel filter between the tank and carb. Thanks for the help.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Make sure that the filter you installed is for 2 cycle fuel mixture.