boat renaming... is it bad luck

Lovetoshop

Recruit
We bought a 1987 Four Winns that has a name on her but we wanted to change the name but have heard that its really bad luck to do so.....any ideas on this topic would be appreciated.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: boat renaming... is it bad luck

It's only bad luck if you do it wrong. You must pay tribute to the gods of the sea and winds.

Here's a link on how to do it right so as to not upset the powers that be: Boat Renaming Ceremony

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We bought a 1987 Four Winns that has a name on her but we wanted to change the name but have heard that its really bad luck to do so.....any ideas on this topic would be appreciated.

If you aren't superstitious nothing will happen. Go ahead and change it.

Lovetoshop

Recruit

Thanks Beefer for the insight. Thats alot of stuff to go through just to change her name and if I dont do it exactly right it would be all for nothing anyways. Maybe I'll just have to get used to her name... Bo's Forty Seven 07. Heck I dont even know a Bo...lol

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Actually, it doesn't have to be that complicated. Take the old name off with acetone, write the name on a piece of paper, burn the paper in an ashtray and spread the ashes on the water you usually use the boat in.

If you buy a used boat and name it after your wife, no problem.

If you already have a boat named after your wife and you get a divorce, don't name it after your second wife until after you satisfy Poseidon with the ceremony!

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

If you aren't superstitious nothing will happen. Go ahead and change it.

I would disagree. If you just change the name, you have no legitimate excuse to have a 'Boat Renaming Party'. Trust me.... they're FUN!!!! :D

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not wanting to argue the merits or demerits of performing a renaming ceremony, but would this also apply to just UNnaming a boat? Remove the existing name and not replacing it.

Wayne

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Dude...are you serious? Superstition? Bad luck?

Just change the name already...

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Dude...are you serious? Superstition? Bad luck?

Just change the name already...

No, I'm not serious, but it makes for a fun afternoon.

...and evening! :D

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

The ceremony must be observed or you will encounter foul winds and rough waters.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The ceremony must be observed or you will encounter foul winds and rough waters.

Yep. Why take a chance and upset old King Neptune. It makes for a very nice ceremony. Get some decent champane. You only have to pour a little over the bow, the rest is for human consumption.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

no it's fine BUT it is TERRIBLE luck to start a thread on boat renaming, oil, or rusty trailers :D

carlh

Seaman Apprentice

I heard that the best thing to do when renaming a boat was to keep the old name somewhere on the boat. By doing this I suppose that you aren't renaming it but giving it a additional name?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I heard that the best thing to do when renaming a boat was to keep the old name somewhere on the boat. By doing this I suppose that you aren't renaming it but giving it a additional name?

No, no no! All traces of the old name must be eradicated in an official, Neptune/Poseidon-approved cerenony that involves friends and quantities of high-quality spirits.

(c'mon, it's all silly superstition, but it isn't a bad way to spend time on the boat, either!)

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Here's the question I have. My boat was never named, I just ordered the name I want to give her from "Overton's" in vinyl lettering. It should be here sometime this week. What do I need to do to give the boat it's first name? I guess I just jump straight to the party part of the ceremony, right?

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buying the boat was your bad luck...the name has nothing to do with it. Prepare to pay .

Good luck with her I hope she is good to you and your wife.

Pirate_40

Seaman

Never believed in any of that crap. I've removed names without replacing them on every used boat I've owned. I have a new boat now and after 4 years have yet to put a name on it. Nothing ever happened and nothing ever will. Nothing happens when I break a mirror, nothing happens when I walk under a ladder, nothing happens when a black cat crosses my way. Nothing. If you want to have a party or a ceremony for a name change suit yourself. Have fun. I would feel reel silly burning things and shouting to mythical gods in the sky.

sasto

Captain

Never believed in any of that crap. I've removed names without replacing them on every used boat I've owned. I have a new boat now and after 4 years have yet to put a name on it. Nothing ever happened and nothing ever will. Nothing happens when I break a mirror, nothing happens when I walk under a ladder, nothing happens when a black cat crosses my way. Nothing. If you want to have a party or a ceremony for a name change suit yourself. Have fun. I would feel reel silly burning things and shouting to mythical gods in the sky.

Pirate 40, got to agree with you. As I am a Reverand ($24 on the internet bought me that title :D) I have preformed weddings and a couple boat renaming ceremonies. (I don't believe a guy should do either one.) We renamed a boat a decade ago simply by removing the old and replacing with new. She was one of the best boats I ever ran.

NYBo

Admiral

Thanks Beefer for the insight. Thats alot of stuff to go through just to change her name and if I dont do it exactly right it would be all for nothing anyways. Maybe I'll just have to get used to her name... Bo's Forty Seven 07. Heck I dont even know a Bo...lol
Allow me to introduce myself...:D

...or ethanol
Every renaming ceremony I've read about involves ethanol, usually is copious amounts!