New stator, good spark, only runs at mid to high throttle

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
1996 Johnson 88, problem started when I was checking plugs and noticed bottom one on port side looked bad as it was caked in grayish deposits while others looked great. Thought carb must have been clogged with something so I took them off and re did them. Did notice a little some thing maybe in the lower carb, nothing very apparent though. Ran on the hose and she ran ok.
Put in water and she started and idled fine. In gear a slight miss then up to speed ok then she died. I mean just up and quit. Now I had no spark. Go it home and put spark tester to her and spark was weak to non existent. tested ignition through the CDI troubleshooting guide with my DVA adapter and sure enough stator was bad. Been having a miss for a month or so and a charging issue had started to act up so this didnt suprise me.

New stator and hot spark all around. Now I can only get her to start at mid to upper throttle on the hose and she quits abruptly when I try to bring her back to idle.She wont stay runnning even at high idle. re checked timing using Joe reeves method and it was a little off, not much. Readjusted but no change in running condition.

Any thoughts? Maybe check low speeds in carbs again?

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New stator, good spark, only runs at mid to high throttle

Rechecked everything and had sheared the Woodruff key in the flywheel. just installed new one ,readjusted timing and she idles great on the hose and starts great. going for water test later.