How much anti freeze do I add?

Biergarden

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a Volvo 4.3GS PBYC. I had to replace the exhaust manifolds and risers. But now I'm not sure how to add or how much anti-freeze to add. Would someone know and be able to answer that for me?

Thanks in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How much anti freeze do I add?

I'm not following what you are wanting to know. For one thing, the manifolds and risers of Volvo engines are not cooled by antifreeze, so why would you be trying to add antifreeze to them? Are you winterizing them?

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How much anti freeze do I add?

Biergarten,

Assuming you have antifreeze in the engine (i.e. it has a heat exchanger - by the way this is called "fresh water cooled"), you should add a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water to fill the radiator to the top (just like a car engine)

However if your boat has a "raw water" cooling system it is cooled by water pumped directly from the water (lake/river) the boat is sitting in - and there is no need for antifreeze.

In the winter months, both fresh water and raw water systems must be protected by antifreeze or you may break your engine heat exchanger or your engine block. Big $$$$ to fix.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH