Carburetor Trouble?????????

AKIRASUN

Recruit
hello everyone:<br />I was hopeing someone might have an idea what could be causing my current carburetor/acceleration problems. I have a 1988 mercruiser 3.0 that starts up and takes off no problem, but when you try to go from headway speed to accelerate it bogs right down and almost dies. You have to pull back on the throtle and stick like your trying to pull up a skier and then it goes like a dream. There is no smooth transition from slow to fast. The gas is good and has been treated for water, I was going to just replace the carb but want to make sure that is the problem. Any thoughts

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carburetor Trouble?????????

If its bogging when you punch the throttle it is more than likely the accelerator pump, many post about the topic here on iboats, just do a search on accel pump, you'll find lots of good info. If the carb has never been overhauled it may be due for one, that would include a new accel pump, but if your anything like me you'll want to be sure that is your problem, so do the above search and also search topics 'timing advance' and 'bogging'..