Learn from me if you can (long)

So about three weeks ago I noticed a decrease in my engine performance. I first thought it was a carb issue, because I would spray the carbs out and then it would work fine for a bit, but then "bog down" again. Next I checked out the fuel tank (26 gal.).

I figured the boat is 20 years old and it has never been cleaned out. So after drilling out the rivets and pulling the fuel tank out I flushed it out with mild detergent and water. I let it sit with forced air blowing through it for a couple hours until I was positive it was dry.

Since the tank was out I figured I sholud replace all the fuel lines and filters (boat side and motor side). I did and also pulled the carbs off, ripped them apart, soaked them, blew them out and rebuilt them.

My next step, since I had gone this far, was to change the plugs and wires and check compression. I had 120 psi +or- 2psi on each cylinder. I found the plugs no problem, but no one stocked the wires. I hate waiting for things so I checked them for continuity, called them good and reinstalled them.

Ok, so, carbs back on, fuel tank reinstalled, all new fuel lines, compression checked, new plugs, same "good" wires. I fire it up in the drive way,....Good to go. Put it in the water and I had no top end. I was only getting 30 knots out of her (normally I get 45). So i trailer the boat home. The whole time going over what I missed.

When I got home I went over everything I had done and found a missing hose clamp on the fuel line just aft of the primer ball. There is my problem! I put one on, hit the lake again and it was great. 46 knots top speed. The next day I spent 6 hours fishing and cruising the sound. Not even a hiccup. I was stoked.

The next day I went out with my wife after telling her of all the work I had done, and how she should be happy she married such a manly man who can fix anything. Well guess what. You know it. Same old problem was back.

I took it out today, on my own, determined to figure this damn thing out. So at idle in the middle of a lake I took the covers off the engine and stared at it for a few minutes. I heard a popping, so I started to poke at things. When I poked at the #3 spark plug wire (that I deemed to be good) I got a nice little zap. So I poked it again. And just to be certain I poked it one more time. So I managed to track down one wire at the local marina and changed it.

So far so good. All that work and it was a wire. I could say that I'm glad I know everything else is clean and done right, but I don't like to lie. So the moral of the story is CHANGE YOUR WIRES dont pull a me.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Learn from me if you can (long)

So about three weeks ago I noticed a decrease in my engine performance. I first thought it was a carb issue, because I would spray the carbs out and then it would work fine for a bit, but then "bog down" again. Next I checked out the fuel tank (26 gal.).

I figured the boat is 20 years old and it has never been cleaned out. So after drilling out the rivets and pulling the fuel tank out I flushed it out with mild detergent and water. I let it sit with forced air blowing through it for a couple hours until I was positive it was dry.

Since the tank was out I figured I sholud replace all the fuel lines and filters (boat side and motor side). I did and also pulled the carbs off, ripped them apart, soaked them, blew them out and rebuilt them.

My next step, since I had gone this far, was to change the plugs and wires and check compression. I had 120 psi +or- 2psi on each cylinder. I found the plugs no problem, but no one stocked the wires. I hate waiting for things so I checked them for continuity, called them good and reinstalled them.

Ok, so, carbs back on, fuel tank reinstalled, all new fuel lines, compression checked, new plugs, same "good" wires. I fire it up in the drive way,....Good to go. Put it in the water and I had no top end. I was only getting 30 knots out of her (normally I get 45). So i trailer the boat home. The whole time going over what I missed.

When I got home I went over everything I had done and found a missing hose clamp on the fuel line just aft of the primer ball. There is my problem! I put one on, hit the lake again and it was great. 46 knots top speed. The next day I spent 6 hours fishing and cruising the sound. Not even a hiccup. I was stoked.

The next day I went out with my wife after telling her of all the work I had done, and how she should be happy she married such a manly man who can fix anything. Well guess what. You know it. Same old problem was back.

I took it out today, on my own, determined to figure this damn thing out. So at idle in the middle of a lake I took the covers off the engine and stared at it for a few minutes. I heard a popping, so I started to poke at things. When I poked at the #3 spark plug wire (that I deemed to be good) I got a nice little zap. So I poked it again. And just to be certain I poked it one more time. So I managed to track down one wire at the local marina and changed it.

So far so good. All that work and it was a wire. I could say that I'm glad I know everything else is clean and done right, but I don't like to lie. So the moral of the story is CHANGE YOUR WIRES dont pull a me.

LOL, the moral of the story is to never brag about your work in front of your wife:p.

There's a brag gremlin that they put in at the factory and only certified, overpaid merc mechanics know how to work on these motors without letting the gremlin out. Merc mechaniics go to a top secret school for over a month to learn the procedure. :D

Centani

Cadet

Betterthannothing, Great Story..........had me laughing alittle there..

I'm going to learn from you
I got a 1982 Mercury O/B 4cyl its had a small rough idle problem for awhile and I'm too cheap to bring it to a Merc dealer.
I'v done all the piliminary checks on fuel and spark and haven't found anything.
But maybe I'll take a closer look at those wires.

Centani

BaDucK

Seaman

i poked it and got zapped.....so i poked it again.....lmao!, dude, that one sentence just made my whole week, thank you

that sounds just like something i would do, ya have to make sure afterall

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

i poked it and got zapped.....so i poked it again.....lmao!, dude, that one sentence just made my whole week, thank you

that sounds just like something i would do, ya have to make sure afterall

Me TOO! Its nice to start the day off with a laugh at someone elses expense,"so I poked it again"ha,ha,ha! Its sounds like something we would ALL do!

Crazyman1225

Seaman

Not only did he poke it again, but poked it once more after that. Nothing like being certain about something.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

"When I poked at the #3 spark plug wire (that I deemed to be good) I got a nice little zap. (That's ONE). So I poked it again. (That's TWO). And just to be certain I poked it one more time. (That's THREE)."

Some of us are experienced enough that the FIRST Zap would have been enough.

Granted, there is a number of posters that feel a need for a SECOND confirmation Zap.

But it is truly an inquisitive mind searching for knowledge that is willing to subject oneself to a THIRD Zap from one of these ignitions!

I have to commend the original poster for his determination.

Last edited:

sschefer

Rear Admiral

"When I poked at the #3 spark plug wire (that I deemed to be good) I got a nice little zap. (That's ONE). So I poked it again. (That's TWO). And just to be certain I poked it one more time. (That's THREE)."

Some of us are experienced enough that the FIRST Zap would have been enough.

Granted, there is a number of posters that feel a need for a SECOND confirmation Zap.

But it is truly an inquisitive mind searching for knowledge that is willing to subject oneself to a THIRD Zap from one of these ignitions!

I have to commend the original poster for his determination.

I commend him for being able to publicly admit his mistakes and share a good laugh.:)

j_martin

Admiral

Seems I recently got the :rolleyes: treatment for suggesting that if you think your wires are good, and I don't, just grab them when the engine is running. That'll make a believer out of you. :D

It's a standard diagnostic procedure.

I was always told that the third time is a charm. I'm glad you guys got a laugh. -BTW the boat is still running well and I took it out fishing today and got a 42 inch striped bass in Cape Cod Bay.