water in lower unit

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
15 hp Tohatsu, have a leak in the lower unit, have a manual and a new seal kit and a water pump kit
THE PROBLEM we cannot get the prop shaft housing out, have tried everything, PB blaster, heat, and more. it is really stuck in there. HOW CAN I GET IT APART?

The manual says to remove the two bolts and slide the unit out, HA

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: water in lower unit

It shoud say, remove the two bolts, pray to the Tohatsu Gods and it should just slide out. However, those Gods are a little deaf so sometimes you do have to gently tap the carrier sideways and then gently tap it away from the lower unit.

pvanv

Admiral

Yes. Especially in salt, there will usually be a buildup of salty corrosion between the LU housing and the prop shaft housing. We have a shop-built puller that we use for really difficult cases. When reassembling, it wouldn't hurt to wipe some aluminum-based (not copper-based!) anti-seize compound onto the interface between the two castings.

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

Can prop shaft housing turn in the lower unit housing? I was thinking to put a pipe wrench on there and give it a twist, I am afraid to tap on it sideways for fear of breaking one of the two bolt ears off.

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

I put it in a vise, grabbed it with a big pipe wrench and all I succeeded in doing was to gouge some teeth marks in the shaft housing, that sucker did not move.

How much heat can I apply to that thing?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

"gently tap the carrier sideways and then gently tap it away from the lower unit."

Nobody said anything about using a wrench and trying to turn it.

Or

You can heat up the housing enough to warp it thereby ruining the housing by taking it out of round.

pvanv

Admiral

Bill,

You may want to get to a dealer. They have experience persuading these recalcitrant castings, and have a much better chance of not wrecking it.