Shift shaft question

Installing a impeller this weekend in a 1992 Mercury Offshore 200 hp. I understand the dissassembly procedure but don't understand how the shift shaft is removed. Does it have a splined coupler that will seperate when I drop the bottom unit? My first impeller job any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift shaft question

Yes, the upper shift shaft will have a coupler to attach to the lower shift shaft. Make sure the motor is in neutral, before dropping the gearcase.

That motor may have a bolt under the zinc anode. Inspect the upper water pump case for scratches in the SS cup. Replace the impeller, all gaskets and the wear plate as a minimum.

Thanks I pulled it down yesterday everything went well still no stream from pee hole could the poppet valve be bad

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A lot of those V6 motors have the telltale downstream of the thermostat. They will not have a telltale until the motor warms up. That sometimes doersn't happen on the flush device. You might check this out.

Is water coming out the prop? Is it coming out the grates above the antiventilation plate? If so, the motor is pumping.

Yes water is coming out of the bottom unit think I should replace poppet valve just because motor is 18 years old? Think I will do poppet valve and stats that way I know where I stand. Thanks for your help appreciate it.