Prop and idle speed question.

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone. I have read a LOT of posts here about people wanting more speed or more power out of a prop. My question is just the opposite. I want LESS speed. I realize that this is probably akin to sacrilege, but get over it! :)

I have a 1987 Reinell 215c with 5.7L Cobra for power and a 15x17p prop. A couple of days ago SWMBO and I went to one of the local lakes for some fun and fishin. The lake was Lake Berryessa in northern California at an elevation of only about 200'. The fishin part was to try out some new downriggers that I had just spent two or three weeks working out a mounting system for.

Anyway, while doing a little trolling my boat speed while idling at 450-500 rpm (or trolling if you prefer) was about 2.3 - 2.5 mph gps. Since I was trolling for Kokanee, that was a little too fast. I would like to get down to around 1.5 - 1.8 mph. I tried raising the outdrive to see what effect that would have, but not nearly enough. Even with the drive WAAy up, speed was still over 2 mph. What do you suppose my idle speed would be if I went down in pitch, say to a 15x16p, or maybe a 15x15p?

And before you say it, I am not too worried about what it would do to my WOT rpm's since I RARELY ever run that fast anyway. As long as I can still get 25-30 mph and not go much over 3500 rpm I would be satisfied. My current 15x17 will give me about 27-28 mph at 3000 rpm. Also, I occasionally get up to higher elevation lakes around 7000', so I could use a prop with less pitch at altitude anyway.

I also know that there are alternatives such as sea anchors and trolling brakes, but they are all a pita. Besides, I have not seen any trolling brakes rated for anything over 200hp and I probably have over 300 now (just had the engine "redone"). So re-propping seems like a nice relatively clean option if it will slow me down enough.

So what say ye? Any and all opinions welcome,

Wayne

extreme76

Seaman
Re: Prop and idle speed question.

Just my opinion but I don't think re-propping (within reason) will slow you down enough. Just a calculated guess (using a prop calculator) but if you are doing 2.5 with a 17 prop and slip remains constant a 13 will probably put you around 2.0. A 13 would be way underpropped. Smart tab protrollers will slow you down 30% or so to put you right where you want to be. You will also get some other benefits as well. I ocassionally use drift socks to slow down even more and I agree they are PITA. The pro-trollers will actually improve your tracking and steering, where as drift socks make steering a nightmare.

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ooooo. I was wondering if there was such a thing as the protrollers. I just went to their website and one line kinda worries me a little:

"When down, the ProTroller SMART TABS act as breaks to reduce trolling speeds . . ."

I sure hope they mean they act as BRAKES. :p

Wayne

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Smart Tabs ProTroller is the way to go. This way you don't really sacrafice anything. Like mentioned a prop will not put you to a speed that slow......

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just happened to think about something. These things look like they would interfere with the fish finder transducer. I'll have to give that a much better look.

And one more question for those that have ProTrollers. How do you move the lever that they talk about when it is under water?

Wayne

extreme76

Seaman

I just happened to think about something. These things look like they would interfere with the fish finder transducer. I'll have to give that a much better look.

You want the tabs as far outside as you can get them, just inside the chine. I haven't seen your boat but I would guess that you have room to put your transducer inside of the tabs (thats where mine is)

And one more question for those that have ProTrollers. How do you move the lever that they talk about when it is under water?

Wayne

You reach down and grab them. I have a molded in swim platform but I can still do it. Don't wear long sleeves. That would be the one "inconvenience" but the benefits far outweigh my wet hands.

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As much as I love my boat, it was definitely NOT made to mount any accessories or toys onto. Mounting any type of accessory or toy has been a rpita. Attached is a shot of the back of my boat. I don't see any place to mount trim tabs as I have seen them pictured. Not a level place to be found, except the 4" wide strakes (is that the correct term?) where my fish finder transducer is mounted on the left of the drive.

However, since my main reason for installing them in the first place would be to slow the boat for trolling, I suppose I could mount them anywhere inside the transducer and the pitot. Or not. That would most likely cause the transducer to become non-functional due to the big metal plate in the way of the beam. I guess I need to find another option.

Wayne

Attachments

• back of boat.jpg
    back of boat.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can mount them on the red line or the blue line, but you may have to move some stuff:

back20of20boat.jpg

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How would this work? If I place the inner edge of the tab just at the strake and extend it towards the outer chine, a 12" plate would juuuust fit. But - the outer edge of the plate would be above the chine and probably not be effective at speed. That may be ok since my goal is reduced trolling speed anyway. I think I might just get away with not having to relocate anything too.

Wayne

Attachments

• How about this.jpg
    How about this.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might work?? I know it says on the Smart Tabs to mount them about 4 inches from the outside edge, but on the ProTroller??

John might chime in or maybe you can call them which might be better??

I see your point though and if they are up out of the way I can see how it might be OK..............

extreme76

Seaman

John might chime in or maybe you can call them which might be better??

I agree call Nautilus, you could probably even send them pics and they will advise you the best way to mount them and the best model to get.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

I'm completely out of my comfort zone here, but don't they make some sort of flap that reduces the thrust from the prop? I could have sworn I've seen a gadget like that.

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Trol-a-matic shown above is something else that I am considering. I just haven't seen where anyone has mounted one on a 300hp OMC Cobra drive. I have sent an email to the manufacturer to find out.

Wayne

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The short, sweet, Cheap answer to your Problem is, Drift Socks...
Get 2 BIG 1s,+ tie 'em off the forward cleats,...
Runnin' 'em Beside the hull keeps 'em out of the fishin' area...
You'll be able to troll, Sub-1mph...