1993 225HP Johnson Ocean Runner Timing Problem

Clint.d

Recruit
Please help ; ) I just got an older 24'Grady offshore with a bad transom, After fixing the transom problem :eek:I found the motor would act like a rev limiter was kicking in when I tried to go any speeds just above 1500 rpms or so. I did some research with a repair manual and Indexed the Flywheel then performed some checks with my timing light, While checking I found that a couple of the cylinders were firing in the wrong position at times. For instance I would have the Light on cylinder numb 1 but the light would blink on numerous cylinders like 5,4,3 this happened on a couple of other plug wires also.
It looks like the Stator and Timing Base had just been replaced, so I went for a new power pack (ouch) didn't help.
I've also cleaned the carb's and disconnected the shifter switch, yellow cables at rear of engine (per the manual it will shut down 3 cylinders to make the shift from neutral to drive easy on the drive train) I did this by disconnecting the yellow cables at the rear of the motor.
Ran the motor but no change, It feels like it is missing even at low rpms and stalls if left in neutral. But when I try to give it some gas it's like a rev limiter kicks in...
Any Ideas, I love to finally get this boat on the Water

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 225HP Johnson Ocean Runner Timing Problem

You might want to check the part numbers on the stator, timer base and flywheel to assure that they are the correct ones for your engine. Also check the center sensor magnets on the flywheel for the correct position. .

Clint.d

Recruit

Thanks Ezeke, that's a good Idea.. I found another problem yesterday seems the alarm was not working correctly and after I rescued some wires it wouldn't stop sounding off, I traced the problem to a failed cylinder head temp sensor on the port bank. Part should be here on Tues. but I think I might just disconnect it and try it out. This sensor closes to ground when the engine is to hot. I am wondering if that could be the reason for the poor performance?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The port temperature sensor is usually the one that controls QuikStart. Its other function is to activate S.L.O.W. when the engine overheats, which you should not bypass.

It might be worth your time to check your thermostats.

jonesg

Admiral

Wanna bet a doz donuts the flywheel key is sheared?;)

Clint.d

Recruit

I disconnected the temp sender and went down the st. johns yesterday, had 8 in the boat with a lot of gear. got up to 30mph (wow it works) lol I am still getting a little mis though think it's because when I cleaned the carb's I set all the lean / rich screws to 2 turns out as it said to do in the book, also it wants to stall when at idle.
can anyone tell me how to adjust those screws correctly?
I appreciate the heads up on the flywheel

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I disconnected the temp sender and went down the st. johns yesterday, had 8 in the boat with a lot of gear. got up to 30mph (wow it works) lol I am still getting a little mis though think it's because when I cleaned the carb's I set all the lean / rich screws to 2 turns out as it said to do in the book, also it wants to stall when at idle.
can anyone tell me how to adjust those screws correctly?
I appreciate the heads up on the flywheel

Disconnecting the temp sender will prevent QuikStart from disengaging when the engine warms up - that will cause you to run with the timing advanced all of the time - a really bad idea.

The 1993 225's had fixed jets on the carburetors.

Clint.d

Recruit

:eek: humm I didn't know that, I won't be running it disconnected anymore, my replacement part should be here Tues.
you know I thought my motor was a 1991 but the parts lady at my local Johnson dealership said it was a 1993? by the model number
I does have have an adjustment screw on each of the 6 carbs?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

What is the model number? A few F models had adjustment needles in 1993, but most 1992 an 1993 225s did not.