Evinrude 1999 70hp 4-stroke tilt tube removal

skorpio

Cadet
Hi, is it possible to remove the swivel-bracket and tilt-tube from the outboard without disassembling the powerhead (cyinder, crankcase etc.). Can it be done like this: remove sternbracket, trim, wiring, disconnect the shiftrod, remove upper and lower mount nuts and pull off the complete swivel-bracket containing the tilt-tube,
Thanx.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 1999 70hp 4-stroke tilt tube removal

The best thing you can do is get an OEM service manual and go from there. A Suzuki manual for that year would also probably work.

skorpio

Cadet

I've got a Clymer Evinrude shop manual regarding the engine, I just can't figure out if it's necessary to take apart the whole outboard engine.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Maybe I should have asked, why do you want to do this?

skorpio

Cadet

I discovered rust on the lower part of the tilt tube, near the circlip. I want to clean and refurbish this part but I'm not willing to disassamble the whole outboard, that's why I want to know if the tilt tube can be removed without dismantling the whole outboard.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Does the steering cable go through the tilt tube or do you have hydraulic steering ?

skorpio

Cadet

I have Baystar hydraulic steering, not a cable.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'm not familular with this steering but if you want to get the tilt tube out the best thing to do is unhook any parts that are attached to the tilt tube. Then get a mtr hoist along with proper lift rings, put some upward pressure on your mtr and take the pressue off of the tilt tube. After that take the big nuts off of the tube and slide it out leaving the hoist keeping pressure on it. You may have to loosen the transom mount bolts to get some free play for the tube.

skorpio

Cadet

Ok thank you for the information boobie, but I just realized I used the wrong term, what I need to remove is the steering arm (vertical tube) inside the swivel bracket, sorry I kept you busy with the wrong question. In the manual I got it's not clear if this part can be removed without disassambling the powerhead etc. Is there any mechanic who dealt with a similar problem on this specific engine.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Normally when you do something like this you have to pull the complete p/h and g/c to get at the swivel bracket/arm. Use that manual you have for a knee pad and get a good OEM manual.