OMC 3.0L starting & use of 4-bladed Comprop

FTQ4860

Recruit
Two questions: I've seen some of the posts and suggestions on hard starting in water. Lately when I hit the key I get a clicking noise, somewhat like that of a bad selenoid in a car engine. After a couple of twists of the key, the starter will spin and turn the engine over although the engine sounds sluggish on turning over. When turning the ignition on but not to start, the ammeter is reading about 12. Have I got a battery problem? Also, any experience out there running a 4-bladed Comprop composition propeller on this (OMC Cobra) outdrive? Thanks.

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC 3.0L starting & use of 4-bladed Comprop

Your battery needs to be tested, or your connections are not good. <br /><br />I had a ProPulse composite prop on my SX drive, and it fits fine. Doesn't last long and won't push your boat around efficiently though.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: OMC 3.0L starting & use of 4-bladed Comprop

Put your battery on a charger. If it doesn't charge full, your battery is finished. Also, check to see that your connections on the battery are tight. My 3.0 Cobra needs a lot of cranking if I haven't used it for a while on the initial start up. Like there's no gas in the carb at first.