Johnson Seahorse 85hp outboard

Dima2004

Cadet
I have Johnson Seahorse 85hp outboard. I just recently changed water pump and gear oil in it. I can start it with no problem at home, I put on the mufs and turn on the water, it starts with no problem. I switch into forward and reverse, all works good. Here is the problem. When i take it to the lake, I can start the motor, it works while idling, but when I switch to forward or reverse, the motor dies. Like there is no enought gas or there is not enough power. Motor just dies and then i can start it again with no problem, put it in gear and it dies again. A few times i got it to forward and made it run but my top speed was only 10mph, I used to get it to 30mph. Feels like there is loss of power. What could be the problem?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson Seahorse 85hp outboard

Those engines will run pretty good on 2 or 3 cylinders in a no load condition. I would start by checking compression and spark. If those check out ok, move on to the fuel delivery system.

Dima2004

Cadet

Maybe its something with carb? I have also overheated the motor before :(

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

having overheated you should have changed the head gaskets and check the compression

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Check the easy stuff first, compression and spark.