Mounting 20" engine on 24" transom

stangarrett

Recruit
I previously posted my question on another section of this Forum and didn't get any responses. I'm new here and hope this is the right place to ask

I am restoring a 20 ft CC with a 24" transom and would like to mount my 20" Evinrude on it. My thoughts are:
1. Mount a Jackplate with a 10" setback, 4" lower on the transom. Will this interfere with a full tilt up? I have to get new control and steering cables anyway.
2. Get an shaft extension for the OB. This is pretty pricey and involves head removel/new shaft/drilling out shaft hole according to Baymfg.
3. Since I'm doing a Seacast transom rebuild anyway, notch out the transom for 20" shaft.
I'd appreciate any comments or ideas.
Thanks

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mounting 20" engine on 24" transom

Pics of the transom?

stangarrett

Recruit

I'll try to get pics later, But the boat is a 96 angler 204 with a fairly plain transom, no splashwell and plenty of room inside and out to drill mounting holes. I'm thinking of going the jack plate route, according to my measurements I only have to lower the engine 2" to get the cav plate even with the bottom of the hull. Thanks

gss036

Commander

The jack would be simplest and by going back a few inches, you really don't need to go the full 2 inches, but would have the ability to do what ever it takes to run OK. It would be nice to know what motor and HP you have.

stangarrett

Recruit

My motor is a Evinrude 112spl. I know it's underpowered but it's what I have. I bought it new and have it on a similar sized boat, a 21ft cuddy with a 20" transom. It would get up on plane fairly quickly and run about 30 mph. I may have gotten more out of it if I had known about setting the correct engine height (one of many things I have learned on this forum). I've run it with the cav plate 2 or 3 inches below the bottom of the boat,didn't know any better.I have less than 100 hrs on the engine and hope it's acceptable.
I'm looking at a cooks jackplate, 10" setback, and mount it 4" below the original mount on the Angler. This should allow adjustment from 2" below to 2" above, give or take. I'll measure closer before I drill, but plan on equal adjustment up and down using boat bottom as neutral. If anyone has better math, let me know, looking for any ideas. Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like it would work to me. Biggest concern I have would be the one you indicated already about having enough set-back to fully tilt the motor. Pretty easy to measure that if you have motor currently mounted on another boat or a stand.