1989 volvo penta blown headgasket

cobalt202

Cadet
hey everyone! this is my fist post on the forum and i am needing all the help i can get. i recently was given a 1989 cobalt 202 and on my fist trip out i blew the head gasket. does anyone know were i can get a good repair manual and also have any tips to make the repair easier? gotta love a free boat right?

captmello

Captain
Re: 1989 volvo penta blown headgasket

We need a lot more info about your engine, outdrive...

cobalt202

Cadet

oh ok i thought the boat year and model were enough. its inboard/outdrive v8 carburetor, 260hp. what all do you need to know? thanks!

Bondo

Staff member

oh ok i thought the boat year and model were enough.

Ayuh,.... We work on Motors, 'n Drives... The Boat is somewhat irrevelant...

It sounds like you've got a 350 Chevy motor,... How do you know it's a Headgasket issue,..??

cobalt202

Cadet

a buddy of mine had the same thing happen to his boat. its some what a guess though... all i know is oil mixed with water and now there is a brown sludge covering everything. its in the valve cover, carb, and oil pan. i was going to tear down the top end and clean everything up and see what exactly happened but i didnt want to do this until i have a manual and some advice from you guys. does that sound like a head gasket to you? thanks

Bondo

Staff member

does that sound like a head gasket to you? thanks

Ayuh,... While it'll be needin' headgaskets, I doubt that's the root Cause of the failure....
Did it Overheat,..??
Maintanance History,..??
Probably a cracked head or block...

cobalt202

Cadet

the boat has been taken care of and impeller changed 18 months ago, oil changed at the same time. the boat had maybe 4 hours on it in the last 18 months. it had new fuel and the only issue was low voltage but that went up after the alternator charged up. everything was running fine then all the sudden i felt it miss and then it sounded like it was getting blow by. and thats when i shut it down and went into shore and discovered all the muck.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... You can just tear it down, Hopein' to find the cause,...
Or,...
Diagnose it before ya do...

I'd start with a general cleanin',...Lookin' things over,.. then a Compression Test...
That much should lead you to the sound you heard...

cobalt202

Cadet

should i clean out the intake manifold and carb at least? or just the surface stuff and then do the compression test?

cobalt202

Cadet

is there a difference in the aftermath a cracked block or head leaves then a blown head gasket?

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

Water can also get in the oil from a leaky intake manifold gasket (especially the vortec silicon rings) or leaking exhaust risers.

cobalt202

Cadet

so either way start with cleaning and a compression test then what should i look for if i still have compression?

captmello

Captain

so either way start with cleaning and a compression test then what should i look for if i still have compression?

It depends on what your compression test shows.

One step at a time.:)

cobalt202

Cadet

yea sorry i just wanted to get the answer to the second step as well. i know how sometimes its tough to get a quick response on some forums so i figure id save a little time. between asking questions and waiting for answers.

cobalt202

Cadet

so i tore the engine down and its a cracked block. does anyone have a link to a good remanufactured engine?