Blinded by the light

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class
This year I have been doing a lot of night boating, and I have an issue with the instrument lights being WAY too bright.

The dash lights come on whenever the running (red/green) lights are on, and on a dark night completely ruin my night vision. Because of this I tend to stand in front of the helm to scan the water and reach back behind me to make any steering adjustments. This doesn't seem very safe as I am a few steps from the throttle, but at least I have a fighting chance of seeing an object floating in the water (I pretty much know where I am going on our lake even on the darkest nights, I am just looking for floating debris).

I am thinking of two options, either putting a switch on the lights so I can turn them off, or (preferably) putting in less blinding bulbs, possibly red. Anybody else every have this problem, and what have you done about it?

rwidman

Lieutenant
Re: Blinded by the light

This year I have been doing a lot of night boating, and I have an issue with the instrument lights being WAY too bright.

The dash lights come on whenever the running (red/green) lights are on, and on a dark night completely ruin my night vision. Because of this I tend to stand in front of the helm to scan the water and reach back behind me to make any steering adjustments. This doesn't seem very safe as I am a few steps from the throttle, but at least I have a fighting chance of seeing an object floating in the water (I pretty much know where I am going on our lake even on the darkest nights, I am just looking for floating debris).

I am thinking of two options, either putting a switch on the lights so I can turn them off, or (preferably) putting in less blinding bulbs, possibly red. Anybody else every have this problem, and what have you done about it?

A third option is to install a dimmer for the lights. Marine retailers have them.

5369673.jpg

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10109&subdeptNum=10598&classNum=11288

In the meantime, instead of standing in front of the helm, why not drape a black towel over the instrument faces?

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can get the bulbs in alot of different colors, red, blue, green, purple,yellow. if you cant find any go to a truck stop or a truck chrome shop, they tend to be a little pricey for a bulb but you can have the color you want. maybe even match the boat.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the meantime, instead of standing in front of the helm, why not drape a black towel over the instrument faces?

I've done this before when I have a towel handy. Sometimes I just shove a life jacket or cushion in front. Seems a little low tech, and I like to be able to peek at the depth gauge every now and then. I think I take out some of the bulbs and see if I can find colored ones. I have never found a 12v dimmer, but I'll look around.

EDIT: Didn't see the link at first rwidman. It looks like it would work, but $65 seems a bit steep for a dimmer.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

What if you stopped at a automotive window tinting shop and asked them for some clingy window tint?
Cut out circles, clean glass and lay in.
Whatever darkness you want.

rwidman

Lieutenant

I've done this before when I have a towel handy. Sometimes I just shove a life jacket or cushion in front. Seems a little low tech, and I like to be able to peek at the depth gauge every now and then. I think I take out some of the bulbs and see if I can find colored ones. I have never found a 12v dimmer, but I'll look around.

EDIT: Didn't see the link at first rwidman. It looks like it would work, but $65 seems a bit steep for a dimmer.

It's a BOAT. "Break Out Another Thousand". ;)

The dimmer lets you adjust the light to suit your needs at the time. Brighter, dimmer, etc. Changing bulbs is more or less permanent. If you take your bulbs out and look at them, there should be a number on the base. With a little research you can find the candle power or power consumed by the bulb. Now, try to find a bulb with the same base and globe style with less candle power or current consumption. It won't be as bright.

You can wire a power resistor in series with your lighting circuit and this will dim the lights but you will have to experiment to get the right value and wattage and you will have to find a way to mount it safely.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Visit your local you-pull it auto salvage yard...every Toyota has a 12 volt dimmer switch for the instrument cluster..it is usually on the left side of the dashboard. Make sure you cut the connector off at the harness side and take as much of the harness wires as you can......They will probably charge you $5.00 or less for it... ;)

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Visit your local you-pull it auto salvage yard...every Toyota has a 12 volt dimmer switch for the instrument cluster..it is usually on the left side of the dashboard. Make sure you cut the connector off at the harness side and take as much of the harness wires as you can......They will probably charge you $5.00 or less for it... ;)

This is a great idea I had never thought of. Thanks!

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

This is a great idea I had never thought of. Thanks!

If you tell me what make, model , and year of the donor vehicle, I can provide you with the manufacturer's wiring diagram for that switch , it may help you to install it. Let me know....

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

A low tech method would be to swipe your wife's fingernail polish, remove the offending bulbs, paint them with the polish and reinstall.

Should work until you want to go a different direction.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

A low tech method would be to swipe your wife's fingernail polish, remove the offending bulbs, paint them with the polish and reinstall.

Should work until you want to go a different direction.

Another idea I had never thought of. Anybody ever try this?

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

We used to 'dust' bright bulbs with flat black spray paint. I don't know how hot these small bulbs get but that maybe a problem.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I think you may end up with bigger problems if you paint the bulbs and they heat up and melt their sockets....just saying....

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is why I love iBoats. I post with a couple ideas and get three new (and cheaper!) ideas within half an hour. Thanks to everybody.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Thank You bro,...we all learn volumes here...thats why we are all here.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

One other option - if you want red bulbs, try LEDs. I did mine in blue and it worked out really nice. They were about $1.50 each. So depending on your engine and gauge package you're probably looking at less than $20. Got mine at www.superbrightleds.com

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

You really can't beat LED lighting..very low power draw...good stuff.

Ned L

Commander

I was going to mention the old fingernail polish technique also. YES it really works. That method is probably about as old as light bulbs (or nail polish), whichever is newer.

gdombroski

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Easier way is to take out a bulb or look in manual for bulb type and go to an auto parts store, they are cheap, and replace them with red which I believe is the color recommended for night vision. The clear bulbs do create quite a night vision problem what a difference the red makes.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yep....red bulbs......done