water/fuel seperator

crissy123

Recruit
hello newbie i have 1984 cadorette 3 lt mercruiser my boat does not have a seperator is this easy to install space under hood is at premium and yes im having problems in high range bogging down etc changed fuel pump and carb filters but still having problems thanks for any help

robert graham

Admiral
Re: water/fuel seperator

I installed the Walmart($27) brand fuel/water separator, 2 screws, very easy, works great to prevent water,debris, trash, whatever, out of your carb. Now and then I just unscrew the canister(looks just like an oil filter), dump out the water/debris, screw it back on, no problem. I do keep a new spare cartridge(Walmart $7) in the boat for if/when I need it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I installed the Walmart($27) brand fuel/water separator, 2 screws, very easy, works great to prevent water,debris, trash, whatever, out of your carb. Now and then I just unscrew the canister(looks just like an oil filter), dump out the water/debris, screw it back on, no problem. I do keep a new spare cartridge(Walmart $7) in the boat for if/when I need it.

You should never dump one out then reuse it....:eek:
It contaminates the clean side of the filter media.
About as good as dumping out an old oil filter and using it again...

robert graham

Admiral

I've been dumping mine for 4+years now with no ill effects, but I have a 12 gallon above board tank and very little water or debris anyway, so at $7 each for new canisters, I just dump it in a clean container so I can see what's in it, and re-install. If any trash was getting past the fuel/water separator it would end up in the under cowl filter anyway, and so far no indication of that happening. Those canister salesmen gotta love folks that replace 'em often! Good luck!

jlams73

Seaman Apprentice

where would you install the fuel/water seperator? I'm assuming fuel line between the tank and primer bulb?

robert graham

Admiral

Hopefully between the primer bulb and the motor,should be a little nook or cranny where you can stick it and still get to the canister for removal. I believe the coast guard requires the units with all-metal canisters for boats with enclosed motors, like an inboard. Some of the units have clear plastic canisters so you can see the water in them.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

It goes between the tank and primer bulb.That is the correct way to install it.

As far as dumping the filters and using them again,yes it may not be a problem with a small portable fuel tank.But for 7 bucks just replace it once a year.
A quality filter is at least 15 to 20 bucks....Not the cheap made in China Walmart junk.
I have a 90 gallon tank and 20 bucks per filter is nothing compared to plugging up the carbs and doing a rebuild of damaged pistons that were run lean.

NHGuy

Captain

OP, did you find any rubbish in the filter? If so keep on changing til clear. Or dump & clean the tank if it keeps clogging. I agree on the F/W separator. Cheap prevention.
If the new filter is clear it may be time to look further.