Trailor Refurbishment

chell123

Recruit
Hello Everyone;

Just starting to refurbish a trailer that came with my new (used) boat and this sounded like it might be a good place to get some advice. Before I ask my questions, let me describe what I have and what I'm looking to do.

The trailer I have is a Dilly boat trailer which is thoroughly rusted. It is made with 1/8" metal bent into C sections that I have been welded together. The metal was then painted. The wheels are 8" (4.80 x 8) and the trailer can pivot at the tongue-to-frame connection. The boat is a SF Pelican sailboat which weighs about 400 lbs.

What I'd like to do have after I'm all done is trailer that is fairly low to the ground (Pelicaneer's tend not to put their trailers in the water but back to the water's edge and push the boat off. The lower the trailer, the easier this works.) At the same time, I'd like a trailer that supports the boat well and is gentle on the boat when going down a dirt potholed road. I also tend to haul the boat on yearly excursions to places like Canada.

So finally, my first question: Should I upgrade the wheels to 12"? Would this help on long distance travels? Would this help on potholed roads? What about wide 8" wheels?

Next, since I have to replace the axle due to the trailer being run with the wrong bearings, I was thinking of getting an underslung axle. Is this a good idea?

I'm also considering replacing the springs as I've heard that softer springs might help on rough roads. Is this a good idea? The boat, a small motor, and the trailer frame probably come in under 900 lbs. Is there anyway to tell what capacity the existing springs have?

Sincerely and Thanks for the help....

Michelle

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Trailor Refurbishment

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Michelle,....
I'm slightly handicapped answering this as I don't know what your boat looks like,+ a trailer is a trailer to me...
But,...
I admire your Clear discriptions,.. I can See the trailer now...
For your questions,...

The tire size thing is a Highly debated, but totally an Opinion thing...
A tire rated to carry a Load, will do just That... up to their Ratings...
Small tires/ wheels might get bent in a big pothole, but a Huge tire can also be injured by Big potholes...
I will say, I'm of the Bigger is Better crowd..
Fender,+ frame clearances are usually limiting factors...

Only you can see if going to an under-slung axle will work for ya,... You'll loose Alotta Height...
It may help the launch, but hinder big bumps, swales,+ curbs...

You could measure the number of,+ thickness of the leafs to get an Idea of their capacities,...
You need Springs,+ of course the tires, that are capable of carring the Total Gross Weights that can possibly be expected to be carried...

rwidman

Lieutenant

Hello Everyone;

Just starting to refurbish a trailer that came with my new (used) boat and this sounded like it might be a good place to get some advice. Before I ask my questions, let me describe what I have and what I'm looking to do.

The trailer I have is a Dilly boat trailer which is thoroughly rusted. ........

By far, the best thing to do with a "thoroughly rusted" boat trailer is to haul it to a scrapyard, collect your $2.00, and put it towards a new or newer trailer. You can't fix rust.

chell123

Recruit

Hello;

And thanks for the reply...

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Michelle,....
The tire size thing is a Highly debated, but totally an Opinion thing...
A tire rated to carry a Load, will do just That... up to their Ratings...
Small tires/ wheels might get bent in a big pothole, but a Huge tire can also be injured by Big potholes...
I will say, I'm of the Bigger is Better crowd..
Fender,+ frame clearances are usually limiting factors...

Did some internet searching and found out the 12" wheels (about 20+" O.D.) cost about $50 a piece. So $150 (need a spare, right?) + shipping is sure giving me pause. On the other hand a bent wheel can sure be downer...Maybe I'll go with the wheels I have now but make allowances for a future upgrade.

Unfortunately, the overslung/underslung issue will be decided once I buy the axle. My understanding is that with an overslung spring, the axle forms the lowest pt on the trailer. And with an underslung, the bottom of the spring forms the low pt. (The clearance under the axle doesn't change.) So am I correct that the clearance decreases by the thickness of the springs?

But I wonder if it (the clearance under the springs) matters so much. The springs are close to the wheel, so if the wheel went into a deep pothole (as opposed to a deep & narrow rut) would the odds be that the axle would be hit before the springs?

Thinking about the frame, I can picture only two places it would contact the road - at the front end and the back end. And could this ever happen on a level road?

Thanks for listening ... talking it out helps on the decision process.

Sincerely;
Michelle

PS: Here is a Pelican sitting on a trailer (though not mine). My trailer has a longer rectangle in the back before the frame bends into the tongue. I'm thinking of sitting the back 2/3 on three flat 2x4s so I have a little spring in the support. A Pelican doesn't have any side-to-side curvature. I'll also need a flat support for the front 1/3 of the boat.
Untitled-1.jpg

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Under and overslung axle only differs in height by the springs, but there are drop axles that would allow you to use a 12 inch tire and still lower the trailer more than it is now. Not sure if Iboats sells axles, the guy at ABCTRailerparts.com is pretty helpful. I think the only drop axles he has are 3500lb though.