2000 Honda BF75A throttle and idle issues

Boater_TAT

Cadet
I own a 2000 Honda BF75A motor. I recently didn't use it for 3 plus months and just had it on the water this past weekend. The motor starts fine, but I had significant issues getting it to 2000 RPMS without the motor completely dying out on me. I eventually used the fuel line bulb to keep pressure in the fuel line as I was able to throttle over 2000 RPMs.

After I successfully was able to run the motor for a period of time, the engine did perform better. However, each day that started and first ran the motor, I still had hesitation issues (almost would kill, but not if I took it slow enough) with the motor.

Question: Do I need to have the 4 carberators cleaned and checked out, or is it possible that I burned enough of the varnish and junk away that I don't need a tune up?

A related question; my motor idles at approximately 1000 RPMs; I assume that this is high and should be adjusted. Or do Honda motors idle this high?

Thanks,

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2000 Honda BF75A throttle and idle issues

You can always hope that whatever you have floating around in those carbs will go away and it sometimes happens.If you are not useing a water sep fuel filter you need to get one installed.Idle spec for this engine is 950+ or minus 50.This engine really likes that 950 mark and hates to be lugged.

Boater_TAT

Cadet
Re: 2000 Honda BF75A throttle and idle issues

Thanks for the info; not what I was hoping for unfortunately. I just replaced the fuel filter this spring with a Honda filter from the local dealership. Is the water seperator filter a special request?

Since I have never had the carberators cleaned or replaced, I was contemplating that this would be a good idea. What I forgot to mention is that this exact situation happened last summer as well. I did drain the cylinders over winter, so I don't believe there is any "new" varnishing of the carbs. With this fact in mind, would you agree that I need some professional attention to this motor/situation? Or, can I tackle this situation with a good service manual and some patience. I am not a pro at mechanical issues but am not a novice either.

Disappointed to hear about the 950 RPM idle speed. Yikes. Sounds like it is a bad idea to turn this down some.....