Cover straps and boat damage

Strabo

Cadet
I have a fitted canvas cover with straps that go under the hull. The cover fits reasonably well but when towing the straps flap in the wind, no matter how much I tighten them. This flapping causes minor damage to the finish of the hull, which I do not like.

I have thought of two possible ways to deal with this problem. I could place masking or duct tape on the hull to absorb the abrasion of the flapping straps. Or maybe I could replace the straps with large bungees, something like is done on commercial trucks.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Or have a better idea?

Strabo

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Cover straps and boat damage

....put a twist or two in each strap and they won't flap/vibrate.

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a fitted canvas cover with straps that go under the hull. The cover fits reasonably well but when towing the straps flap in the wind, no matter how much I tighten them. This flapping causes minor damage to the finish of the hull, which I do not like.

I have thought of two possible ways to deal with this problem. I could place masking or duct tape on the hull to absorb the abrasion of the flapping straps. Or maybe I could replace the straps with large bungees, something like is done on commercial trucks.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Or have a better idea?

Strabo

Hey Strabo,

The large bungees work well because the rubber will not damage your finish, Is your pleasurecraft an aluminum or fiberglass? With my new boat which is an aluminum boat, I installed snaps for my cover and it looks like if it was professionally done.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I used to put a twist in the straps and then pad each one with an old beach towel folded tightly between it and the hull. Only time I ever lost a towel was when trailering thru a heavy thunderstorm.
They got wet and heavy. No damage, though.

Strabo

Cadet

Those are excellent suggestions, thanks very much. The boat is aluminum, but I do not like to see unnecessary damage done to the finish.

I have thought about installing snaps to fit onto the factory snaps on the outside of the gunnels. But the cover extends below the gunnels another 6", where an elastic cord cinches it in. But I don't think the elastic is strong enough to prevent flapping.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Good suggestions above ! If those ideas dont work 4 u..... I started strapping the straps that flap [say that 3 times fast] to the trailer on either side of the boat instead of all the way underneath. worked 4 me

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

I have a cheap walmart cover I use as a mooring cover. I use the bungees. They hook into the cover hooks and are flexible, cheap and replaceable.