Winterizing cost?

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm interested to know what those of you in the northern reaches of the country pay for winterization of an engine for an I/O?

By "winterization" I'm referring mainly to flushing the engine with anti-freeze to prevent the block from freezing and cracking. If other services such as fogging, oil change, etc is included, please state that. If it matters, I'm running a 5.7 L Mercruiser.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth investing in winterization equipment and of course the time to do it myself, or if I should just stick with biting the bullet and having the dealer do it for me. I suppose there's always the nagging suspicion that I'm getting ripped off by going to the dealer, but I'm also wary of the taking on the mess and hassle of doing it myself and then there's the issue of doing something wrong and ending up with a cracked block.

Thanks.

Grouse

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winterizing cost?

I use a local guy to do winterization on my I/O. Oil change, gear lube, fogging engine and antifreeze cost about $150.00 I think this is a good deal considering engine oil and lube cost about $60-$70. I also do the annual drive maintenance at this time. Pull drive and inspect u-joints, bellows, gimbal. They also grease joints and gimbal. Drive service cost another $160.

If you do not know the proper procedure for winterizing your engine block its not worth it. Draining block and adding anti freeze should cost about $75 to have a professional do. Not having a professional do it could cost about 5 grand.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Deals run anywhere from $79.95 up to $200 up here in Ohio. Basic service is draining and anti-freezing the block, fogging engine, changing engine and L/U oil and checking all fluids and hoses. Add gimbal bearing greasing and other stuff and you hit the higher cost deals. I know of one place that offer all that plus alignment of the engine and L/U and inspection of the hull, trailer bearing service and then heated indoor storage for the winter (and the boat is covered to eliminate dust while it's in there). That'll set you back a grand but you get your boat back in the spring in better shape than when you dropped it off.

UFM82

AndrewsArk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There's a marina near me that will do it for $100. Just had the drive serviced last week for $80 so that will be it for this year for me.

However, do you all still winterize if you store it in a heated warehouse?

Chuunthor

Cadet

At marinas around here its about $150 for an I/0, plus supplies. Some are as high as $250 per drive.

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just saw an add today for 65 bucks. I am not sure what that includes though. Pesonaly I would rather do it myself so that I KNOW its right. If I dont get distracted, mine takes me about a half hour to 45 min which includes drive and engine oil change. (20 of that is just warming the engine up). More if I pull the lower unit ( I only do that every other year)

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cost in my area is $120 - $160 for an I/O. No special tools required, though, and it's very easy to DIY:

Fog the engine until it stalls. Pull the plugs and spray an ounce or two of fogging oil into each cylinder. Replace the plugs. Pull the coil wire so it won't start and turn the engine over a couple of times to distribute the oil. Put the coil wire back.

Drain the engine by removing the petcocks. Remove water hoses and thermostat and dump in some AF until it comes out of the petcocks. Pull the intake hose off the oil cooler and dump in AF until the trickle runs pink out of the drive unit. Put the petcocks back in the engine. Done.

Cost is about $4 for AF.

I used a shop vac to get every bit of water/AF out of the bilge. It was a good time to clean it as well.

Some people change the drive unit gear lube at the end of the season. Some just pull the lower fill screw to drain what little water may be in there and change the lube in the spring. Others pull the drive off the boat and store it inside.

Cost to change the lube is under $20. A new gasket kit is also under $20.

Pull the batteries and store them in a warm garage if you can. Trickle-charge them from time to time to keep them topped off.

However, do you all still winterize if you store it in a heated warehouse?
Yes. If the heat fails you're in serious trouble.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Why don't you just call reputable service facilities in your area and get their prices and a listing of exactly what the price includes?

Compared to the cost of the boat or a cracked block, it's not that much.

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why don't you just call reputable service facilities in your area and get their prices and a listing of exactly what the price includes?

Compared to the cost of the boat or a cracked block, it's not that much.

I already know what the cost is in this area and what's included. I was wondering if due to the sheer number of boats in this area (the most per capita in the nation), I'm not being charged way over the odds. Adding to the problem is the fact that there are 2 fewer reputable service facilities in this are due to the recession.

I'm also aware that it's "not much" compared to the cost of a cracked block. Neither is a root canal, but that fact alone doesn't inspire me to want to pay more for one.

Grouse