1972 Evinrude 65HP - Clunk while driving

cnystrom

Recruit
I have recently run into a problem with my 1972 65HP Evinrude Outboard. It seems that while travelling in forward (at various different speeds) that the motor kicks out of gear. I'm not exactly sure that is what is happening, but there is a clunk sound and the motor jumps. It starts fine and also idles very well.

I've changed the lower end oil (used Type-C) and it continued to do it. Although when I changed the oil, there seemed to have been a little water in it. Mostly oil, but the colour was milky.

What would cause the water? Lower end seal? Faulty O-rings on the filler screws?

I'd really like to figure out what is happening WITHOUT having to bring it to a dealer for repairs.

Any ideas?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Evinrude 65HP - Clunk while driving

You sure it is a 1972? That sounds like a worn clutch dog and forward gear. Very common on mechanical shift lower units, but not very common on the Hydro-Electric units like on a 1972. I guess after 40 years, anything can wear out.

cnystrom

Recruit
Re: 1972 Evinrude 65HP - Clunk while driving

Yes, I am positive that it is an 1972 and it has the Electric Shift. You're right though, after 40years anything is possible.