gear box contamination

alumachris

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1968 18 hp evinrude. i put in a new seal kit a week ago and am still getting water in the foot. (white milky ...) only used the seal at the parting line, and the seals for the prop shaft and drive shaft from the kit. could not find any application for the other seals in the kit (probably some universal kit). wonder what i'm missing. BTW how does the shifter rod seal. didnt see a seal for it. it is just a tight fit as far as i can tell.
Thanks in advance, you guys are life savers

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: gear box contamination

The seal for the shiftrod is an o-ring captured between two bushings. You may be able to flatten the existing o-ring by driving the top bushing in further, but replacing it generally requires disassembly of the gearcase. It is often the source of leaks.

See the gearcase diagram for your model here: http://evinrude.cust.shopatron.com/

You may find it beneficial to pressure test your gearcase.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

That shift rod seal is probably your problem. It's down inside the shift rod bushing and is a bear to get out and replace. Try using some "picky tools" like a dentist uses and pick out the old o-ring. Then "fold' the new one and pack it back in there.

alumachris

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, Ezeke and oldcatamount. i will try tapping the bushing from the top using a socket. hopefully that will work for a while. i would probably do more damage to the new seal trying to insert it with my dental picks. what does it take to remove the bushings after i disassemble the gear case? thats the only way that i could get it right.
thanks again fellas.

p.s. that motor has been run numerous times with this prob. the gear oil is changed before every run. have never seen any visible metal in old oil but i wonder if any damage has been done

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The method suggested by oldcatamount can only be done after removing the shift rod and you have to disassemble the gearcase to get there.

The bushings are generally driven out from below or pulled out with a slide hammer.

Sometimes you can work the o-ring in with a little oil and two small dowels without damaging the o-ring.

alumachris

Seaman Apprentice

thanks ezeke. i'll try using a dowel the same diameter as the bore. that should keep the new seal square until it falls into the groove. just hope i haven't done any damage to gears so far. btw, i was thinking about welding a nut (to be used as a bolt head) on the end of the pivot bolt for the shifter fork (proper nomenclature?). philips slots are worn out. what do you guys think? Thanks again

lindy46

Captain

This is the proper tool for removing the shift rod bushing. You punch the bushing out, replace the o-ring and tap the bushing back in. With the tool it's a 10 minute job.

Attachments

• punch.JPG
    punch.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You might want to check with sea-way.com on the shifter lever - maybe thay have a good used one in stock.