1979 Evinrude 35 missing/ problems.

namerjo88

Recruit
I just bought my first boat and motor. The engine is a 35 hp electric start. I shall start at the beginning of todays problems. he engine turned over and started well, but would kick and puff out smoke roughly every 5 seconds. Eventually it would stall after 4 or 5 minutes. Then I noticed as I was changing plugs that the top cylinder plug had much more wetness and oiliness to it. My father then proceeded to unplug to the cable to the spark plugs as it was running, and while the top cylinder was disconnected, the engine idled fine by itself. When the bottom plug was pulled with the top one connected the engine barely made it by itself. Soon thereafter the engine stopped delivering spark, because I assumed the power pack may have been burned out and worse. Furthermore, I noticed that the upper cylinder was spitting out a much larger cloud of gas than the lower when the engine was cranked with both plugs out. I am now going to test the compression of the engine and am considering ordering a new power pack and ignition coils. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. The carb is relatively clean and fresh fuel was used. It has been years since the boat was ran. I do not know much about the motor as to whether it has reed valves or how the carburated fuel is delivered to the seperate cylinders, and information or suggestions would be great

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1979 Evinrude 35 missing/ problems.

checking the coils is a good place to start. One of them may be weak or have a crack. You could also check your plug wires. Have you done a compression test?

namerjo88

Recruit
Re: 1979 Evinrude 35 missing/ problems.

I am aquiring a compression tester very soon, could that be the reason too much fuel is coming out of the upper cylinder? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Also, can I test the coils with an OHMeter? if I did what range may I be looking for?