1965 Evinrude Big Twin

Finster

Cadet
Hello Everyone,
Long story short. Grandmother asked if I wanted boat about 5 years ago, it was her's and granpa's. I said yes and took it with the intention of restoring it the best I could and getting it running. I know very little about engines, ignitions or basically anything "motor" related. But really wanted the challenge. I am a support analyst for a well known software company and knowing that I can find a lot of information online, I assumed I had the integrity and access to information, so this should not be to bad. Allow me to humbly admit defeit and beg for the help of the knowledgable. I have drawn "poor" diagrams of items I have questions about. I figure you would need the visual aids considering my description of things may not be very easy to understand.
Ok so right to my first question. I have questions all the way from the ignition to the battery/Engine, but I will start at ignition.
The original ignition and starting button was in bad shape so I wanted to replace them. I replaced with a newer ignition where you need only turn clockwise to engage the starting motor. I read online that the OEM switch has two black wires that are actually used to kill the engine. Considering the newer igition switchs do not have the prongs to accomodate this, I elected to install a pushbutton kill switch. Is there a better idea for this? I'll let this be my first question. IN addition, I think I have these wires done correctly, and the green seems to go to one side of the silenoid making it positive? Keep in mind the two black will go to a switch.. I am also unsure as the the brown one, it wasnt hooked up to the old ignition. Thoughts??? Ill show you the silenoid side next..I know, I'm a goof!
lgnition.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 Evinrude Big Twin

Please don't buy any more parts till you know what you need. You already went out and bought the wrong kind of ignition switch, now you are going to try to fix it by adding another switch.

Wiring diagram here: http://www.hibbing.mn.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={8B2E6CEF-5E42-4BA4-AA26-31E0490E23F4}

Exploded parts diagrams here: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

This diagram (1965 33hp model) shows a five (5) terminal ignition switch. You can use this or get the latest switch that has six (6) terminals (available at any Evin/John dealership). The 6th terminal would be the choke (C) terminal that would do away with the choke switch..... makes contact when the key is pushed in.

You have the wrong ignition switch. That switch is used for models that require battery voltage to energize the ignition..... not to be used on a magneto model.

65_33hp_Wiring-2a.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Why don't you get the correct switch and wire it properly? 379047 changes to 386545.

Finster

Cadet

Like I said in my first post, I am here to humbly ask for help from people that know more than I about this motor.
It seems that the ignition switch idea I had was not ideal and therefore I should reconsider my ignition switch idea. The switch that was on this harness was a key switch and a push button (no key). Will the 6 prong switch negate the need for a seperate starter button psuh button? If no then thats cool, is the part number found in the manual? Iwould like to add the proper switch. I really appreciate your responses...

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you use the proper switch the only pushbutton you will need is for the choke. Look at the diagram that joe Reeves posted. Wire it up that way and you will be good to go.

Finster

Cadet

If you use the proper switch the only pushbutton you will need is for the choke. Look at the diagram that joe Reeves posted. Wire it up that way and you will be good to go.

I think that is the beginning of where my ignorance began, so that extra button was a "choke" button and not to engage the starter? I am going to buy the correct ignition and I'll post up again when I complete getting that in there. The wiring from the junction box to the engine is baffling too.

I really appreciate the help everyone and I know that just reading some of the stuff I write is causing your palms to open and your face to lay down within only to shake in the "no" fashion. I assure you that I am putting in LOTS of leg work on this and have been reading so much, so please don't think that I am just relying on all of you for everything.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

As Daviet mentioned above 379047 superseds up to part number 386545. This ignition switch, regardless of which number you order will result is you having the type switch as in the diagram I listed above.

The "Red" & "Green" wire connection that states "Choke Switch" is actually a push button.

This allows you to wire the unit exactly as you see it which will eliminate any confusion.

Whatever problems you encounter.... we're here, just a click away.

Finster

Cadet

Thanks a lot Joe. Ok so I will get the original ignition switch and the one my local boat shop has in stock is one that will require a push button choke. Its all good and I will pick it up this weekend. The wiring seems pretty straight forward.

I currently do not have an ammeter should I attach one?

Does anyone have the diagram for wiring to the engine? I have it open and see some different places that wires can be attached, however none are.

thanks!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

An ammeter would be needed only if the engine has a generator..... a generator is required if the engine is a electric shift model. If a generator is present, it would be opposite the electric starter, on the other side of the carburetor.

Finster

Cadet

Please don't buy any more parts till you know what you need. You already went out and bought the wrong kind of ignition switch, now you are going to try to fix it by adding another switch.

Wiring diagram here: http://www.hibbing.mn.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={8B2E6CEF-5E42-4BA4-AA26-31E0490E23F4}

Exploded parts diagrams here: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php

I went to check the wiring diagram link to see if I could find the schematic for the engine wiring. The Wiring Diagram site is asking me to login and I really couldnt find where to register, can you give me some insight?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I assume you're already registered???

Click on "Boat Parts & Accessories" at top left of this page, then let your cursor rest on the title of "Boat Forums" which will also be at the top of page. Another small window will open with "Register" listed.

Finster

Cadet

I assume you're already registered???

Click on "Boat Parts & Accessories" at top left of this page, then let your cursor rest on the title of "Boat Forums" which will also be at the top of page. Another small window will open with "Register" listed.

Well considering I have a username I guess its obvious that I have registered for the forums. The link I am speaking of is

http://www.hibbing.mn.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={8B2E6CEF-5E42-4BA4-AA26-31E0490E23F4}

When going here and attempting to click on small engine repair library when it took me to a register page.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Yes, it was obvious to me that you were registered. A tired moment.... slipped my mind that you had linked to another site.

Finster

Cadet

It looks like I have reached the end of the help line....

We are picking up the ignition (through the advice of you all) this weekend. The diagram that was posted makes perfect sense and I will get that wired up with my choke button this weekend as well.

My biggest road block now is wiring to the engine. I have found diagrams for the junction box where the solonoid resides so that is good to go.

If there is an etiquette fail that I did then I apologize but I read the stickys in this forums and felt that I followed the rules. Considering this site sells manuals then maybe me asking for wiring help to the engine is contrary to manual sales?

This will be my last post on the subject, and I thank everyone for the help thus far.

I think that Hibbing site can offer some help, but its not letting me in.

if anyone has anything feel free to email me too ricknorris@gmail.com

Rick

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Pulling on memory, I assume this 1965 "Big Twin" is a 40hp? Let me know, and if so, is it a mechanical shift model or a electric shift model?

I may be able to get a wiring diagram scanned and emailed to you but I need to know exactly what model that engine is.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Finster, check your PM (private message)

Click on the link near the right upper portion of the screen: It should say sometime like this

Welcome, Finster.
You last visited: Today at
Private Messages: Unread 1, Total 1.
My Replies

Finster

Cadet

Pulling on memory, I assume this 1965 "Big Twin" is a 40hp? Let me know, and if so, is it a mechanical shift model or a electric shift model?

I may be able to get a wiring diagram scanned and emailed to you but I need to know exactly what model that engine is.

Yes sir this is a 40HP BigTwin 1965 Evinrude.
I checked and I do not have a generator so this would make it a mechanical shift model.

My harness has all the OEM colors and there is one junction box and the only thing that is in there is a starter solonoid. We have it wired up to the junction box just fine, but when looking at the engine I see (if you are looking from the front) on the left-front is the starter motor and then on the left side I THINK it is the cutoff unit (choke?) I have two black wires that run all the way from the ignition to the engine, I assume they may connect to this?

In the rear of the engine is another wire that is near the spark plugs. Something was attached to this before, but at this point I dont know what would go there.

I fully understand the power wires that hook to the starter and ground so that is easy enough. So going to the engine is two black wires (from ignition switch) a white wire (from starter solonoid) a red wire from pushbutton choke, and I think a yellow wire, sorry not in front of motor as I am at work.

I have looked at a couple of diagrams but the ones I have found include the generator which I dont have, and a voltage regulator so I get all confused...

This is one that I was looking at....now if someone could define what is what on the engine as opposed to this picture I may be fine..

Sorry I'm such a n00b but if anyone needs PC help, Im your man!!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It looks like I have reached the end of the help line....

We are picking up the ignition (through the advice of you all) this weekend. The diagram that was posted makes perfect sense and I will get that wired up with my choke button this weekend as well.

My biggest road block now is wiring to the engine. I have found diagrams for the junction box where the solonoid resides so that is good to go.

If there is an etiquette fail that I did then I apologize but I read the stickys in this forums and felt that I followed the rules. Considering this site sells manuals then maybe me asking for wiring help to the engine is contrary to manual sales?

This will be my last post on the subject, and I thank everyone for the help thus far.

I think that Hibbing site can offer some help, but its not letting me in.

if anyone has anything feel free to email me too ricknorris@gmail.com

Rick

Hm.m.mm., hibbing site never asks me to log in. Maybe it did the first time I went there, I don't remember. Can you get to the Small Engine Repair page? I see there is a Sign In link at the top. Click on that and it takes you to where you can create a new account. Try it and report back here if it works.