Lowrance Lorain C Antique? Still Arround?????

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class
:mad::confused:Hello All -

I am not "versed" on marine GPS / Fish Finders. Back in the day, my father had a GPS type system, pre-gps, made (I believe) Lawrence. I remember it being called a Lorain "C." He did quit a bit of boating on Lake Erie and it worked ff of three or four towers, would keep track of your course, direction, speed, wind speed, water temp, depth, etc.

From what I remember it was a pretty advanced system for the time (late 80's). Like I said, it was not GPS and I think it would only work on lakes that had these special type of "towers."

I would like to find one if possible for good memories but I can't find it. Not even on EBAY.

Any tips or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lowrance Lorain C Antique? Still Arround?????

It was called LORAN C. I believe the system was finally shut down earlier this year so any receiver is now useless. I see them on Ebay auctions occasionally, usually in a fishfinder/LORAN combo.

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool, thanks. I just found the one he had, it was an impulse 2831 fish finder / Loran C Receivor. I read on the UCG's webpage about the closure. It appears that system had been in place since the late 70's. Up at Lake Erie he used quit frequently. At our "home town" lakes I don't think he could get a signal.

Anyway, I wanted one for the heck of it, but, oh well. I need to get with the times and look at the GPS.

Curious, GPS will give you directions by highway, for waterway I am assuming you must have a "chart plotter?"

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

I had that same unit back in the late 80's - mid 90's !! Sold the boat it was in and the unit went with it. Used it on Lake Erie also. If you were familiar with the operation of a LORAN C you should have no trouble switching to GPS. The ones made for boating don't have highway maps on them usually but you can add maps to them. With some units you can add maps of specific lakes or you can navigate without them just as you buy them.