Sound Proofing HELP

79TEMPEST

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone, i completed my transom, stringers and floor restoration this summer and have been enjoying the boat for about a month and a half now. my only real problem is with the noise. I used sheets of pink Home Depot foam for flotation under the floor and i mean i STUFFED it under there, ( boat is a 79 Tempest 18' with a 120 I/O Mercruiser) but when i hit waves its LOUD like i mean I'm hearing BANG BANG and its nothing rattling around or anything like that it seems to me that's just the hull making these noises i just want to know if there's anything i can do to reduce this noise (i do not have carpet in the boat, its painted NON-SKID) will carpet really make a difference? aside from carpet is there anything else i can do to reduce this noise??

Thanks in advance for the help!:D

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Sound Proofing HELP

but when i hit waves its LOUD like i mean I'm hearing BANG BANG and its nothing rattling around or anything like that it seems to me that's just the hull making these noises
anyone have any ideas???

Ayuh,.... Slow down on the bumps.....

wambs8

Seaman

Did you take the cap off for the restoration? Maybe its loose. Before I tore into my boat I realized that the cap in the bow area was loose. That explained the banging noise every time I hit someone's wake. Just one thing to check.

Dave

79TEMPEST

Seaman Apprentice

no i didnt take the cap off but i never thought to check and see if its loose, i will do so. any other sound proofing thoughts?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

carpet buddy....sorry.

the hulls can make a really big bang when they hit the water.

the good news is that it is just noise....and a well built boat can easily handle it.

the noise is being transmitted from the hull to the wooden srtingers and up thru the deck....throw a rug down (that goes up the side of the hull) and you will notice a change....but the bang will still be there.

the other option is like bondo said.....slow down...or in other words...use a different angle of attack on each wave....when you do that the passengers will have a far better trip and more likely to come again

79TEMPEST

Seaman Apprentice

sorry for the late reply i have been really busy, thank you all for the help you guys seem to be able to answer any question or problem ive thrown out there and i really am thankful for it, you guys really make a restoration alot more enjoyable.:D