Magneto or Coil? How do I know?

I am new at this and do have a manual on the way, but hoping you can enlighten me in the mean time in regard to my engine design. I have a 1987 Eviinrude 30HP model# E30TELCUB.

It looks like it has two coil packs on the back of the motor and it does have the push button electric start. There is a kill switch on the tiller handle and I want to run one to the helm. The universal kill switches I see have a pair of terminals for Magneto or Coil, so hoping to get one and install to add some safety to my pontoon. What can happen if I were to hook the switch up one way when it is actually the other in regard to magneto vs. coil for the kill switch configuration?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Magneto or Coil? How do I know?

Technically, you have what is sometimes called "Mag CD". It is Capacitor Discharge electronic ignition, powered my "magneto" coils.

That is just for your information. As far as your question goes, connect the kill switch for "magneto".

If you should accidently get it wrong, the worst that will happen is it will work backwards---that is it will be "off" when it should be "on" and vice-versa.

In any case, DO NOT connect it to any battery power in any shape or fashion. That will destroy your CD power pack. If you stick to using the present kill button wires, you will be fine.

Re: Magneto or Coil? How do I know?

THANKS much. I had read a bit and thought Evinrudes were mainly magneto based on reading about some replacement ignition switches, etc. But I am familiar with the coils from my car, so thought it was a coil setup, was not sure what I had.

Again, the forum saved me from myself. THANKS :D