Too, Strip to bare metal or not, That is the question?

michaelbluewolf

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Again,
Just used Tal-Strip to remove most of the bubbled paint on the bow of my Neptune. Question is, can I use a jitter-bug sander to finish the cleanup around the edges and the moulding for he rub-rail? All the screws are fouled and can't drill the s/s screws with the drills I have. If so should I use 220 Grit or will this damage the hull? I am an auto mechanic and not a boat mechanic. If the lower hull paint, brushed on by PO over the a Nice white finish underneath is not peeling can I just lightly sand it and repaint the hull?
I have not a clue, the paint on the hull looks to be adhereing well, except on the splash gunwale on the starboard side. Which I will sand and reprime before repainting.
Thanks in advance,
Mike the Mechanic

Attachments

• P1010445.jpg
    P1010445.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010446.jpg
    P1010446.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010447.jpg
    P1010447.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 0

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Too, Strip to bare metal or not, That is the question?

If you are down to a layer which is adhering well (likely the original hull paint), and if you are able to sand it smooth, you can do that and then prime and paint that. I had multiple layers and there was not one individual layer which I could sand down for adhesion. I ended up stripping to aluminum, as can be seen in my Neptune picture show online. If you get to bare aluminum in some spots, 220 won't hurt it if you're just scuffing it up for paint adhesion. That is some very heavy duty aluminum! :-D