I smell smoke... Need Help!

Patcon

Recruit
We were on the lake today. First time out in this boat Sea Ray I/O 4.3LX Alpha 1. We had been playing off and on for 3 hours, skiing, starting and stopping. We were swimming ,and I started the boat up to back up a little. Went to cut it off and the switch wouldn't cut it off. I started pulling the switch out and tryinng to disconnect terminals. I could here a whining noise like the starter spinning, but not like it sounds when trying to start. the engine started to smoke then and finally shut down. There was smoke coming off the starter when it died. We go a tow back to the ramp :(:(. What would make the switch fail to cut the boat off? If the starter hunge up in the flywheel when I started it would that prevent the boat from shutting down? I assume I smoked the starter?
Ideas?

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I smell smoke... Need Help!

Along with the ignition switch, it could be a failed slave solenoid, or even the starter solenoid or shorted wiring that kept the starter engaged.
Do you know how to test solenoids and wiring with a DVM? Do you have a Service manual with the wiring diagram? Without even knowing the year or better yet a SN of your engine, I have no idea what wiring setup you have.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"What would make the switch fail to cut the boat off?"

Several possibilities:

Shorted ignition switch (water/corrosion/broken return spring)
Starter solenoid welded closed
Some systems : a blown diode in the charging system

Now your task:
Have the starter and solenoid(s) examined and repaired/replaced by a motor shop.

Troubleshoot the ignition system from the battery, to the helm and ending at the starter solenoid.

A battery isolation switch may have saved the day for you. You're lucky there were no fuel leaks.

Edit: Don beat me to most of it!!

Additionally, if the starter was being driven by the engine, that D,C, motor became a generator and was competing with the alternator. Usually in such a case, the regulator section of the alternator fails and the alternator.....well, doesn't alternate any longer!!

Patcon

Recruit

I have two mercruiser manuals for this boat, the Clymer and another one. The boat is a 1994 Sea Ray 200 BR. I own a small construction business and I do have a volt meter. I am sure I can find the procedure in the manual. Which end would you start on the starter end or the switch end? What are the chances that I melted something in the harness?
Thanks, Charles

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"What are the chances that I melted something in the harness?"

Slim...if the starter was, indeed, energized. The starter can soak up a bucket full of amps and more or less protect the rest of the system.
Examine the ends of your harness for discoloration, metling, evidence of heat build up...I doubt you will find any.

Start at either the battery or starter and complete the circle.

Patcon

Recruit

Thanks, Don
Thanks, Eddie
I'll try to look at it this week. I'll let you know what I find. I hope the alternator is good...
Charles