mercruiser 140 no spark at coil

scot6416

Recruit
I have a 1984 Ebko with a Mercruiser 140. The boat has been sitting for about 6 months and ran when I last tried. Now I am back from the desert and ready to play. My Problem is there is no spark at the coil. I have replaced the coil and still nothing. Any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: mercruiser 140 no spark at coil

Use your test light to see if you have juice at the positive side of the coil with ignition turned ON.<br /><br />If you don't -- run a jumper wire from positive side of battery to positive side of coil and try to start the boat.<br /><br />Make sure your hands are NOT near the fan belt when you connect the jumper wire. Sometimes the engines will actualy turn over 1 revolution when the live jumper is connected to the coil.<br /><br />With the jumper connected, if the engine starts you may have an iginition switch problem.. check the connections at the switch.<br /><br />If they look good.. make sure you have juice going TO the switch.<br /><br />If you do, I'd replace the switch.<br /><br />By the way, if you run a jumper to the coil and the boat runs you won't be able to shut her down until you disconnect the jumper wire.<br /><br />Just some thoughts..