Marine Tex replacement?

MackDSM

Cadet
I can't find marine tex anywhere locally in Canada. I was able to find 3M Premium Marine Filler, would this be a decent replacement for filling things such as screw/bolt holes as well as gouges and scratches to the keel/hull section of the boat prior to a re-paint or re-gel?

I noticed 3M also has a "high strength" version of their marine filler, which might be a better option if I can find it? This is a vinyl-ester product, rather than epoxy, so I could theoretically glass mat and resin over or under filled sections as well.

redfury

Commander
Re: Marine Tex replacement?

certainly. I'd use the high strength stuff where you need to do more than just simple chip and scratch repairs.

jonesg

Admiral

For those small repairs you can use gelcoat, thicken it to a paste with cabosil.
Add strength with milled fiber if needed.
Cover it with saran wrap so it cures hard or get a spritz bottle and spray PVA over it to seal from the air. Once cured just wash the pva off with water.

sprintst

Commander

Boat Craft in Edmonton has MarineTex

Not sure where you are located.

MackDSM

Cadet

I am in Ontario, so that's a bit far! Thanks though! I went to my local marina and asked if they have marine tex, to which they replied "Yeah! Let me go get him!".. so I had to correct, "No! Not marine *techs*, Marine Tex".

After I explained what it was, they still had no idea and had never heard of it. I found that to be pretty odd. And this 3M stuff was all I could find at Canadian Tire.

I would use gelcoat, but I'm actually doing a complete re-paint on the boat, so in my application, I'm better off filling the holes with something else prior to all the sanding and paint. I'm actually wondering if, since it will be sealed off afterward, if I might be better off using the standard long or short hair bondo fiberglass fillers? I know they aren't technically waterproof, but I can't see it being a problem after it's covered, and especially if I don't use it below the waterline?

I've used those fillers before in an automotive application, and they are tough as nails. I'd feel better about using that to fill in some of the bigger dash holes (after they've been plugged with wooden cut-outs of course.

redfury

Commander

Check for a product called PC-11

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=1002781

Same stuff a Marine Tex

I'm just sayin...:D

What DOESN'T it do? Wow! I should check out my Ace Hardware...I bet they shelf that stuff! And at $8, that's a price anyone can afford!

"PC-11" MARINE EPOXY
Cures wet, dry or underwater. Use as an adhesive with wood, metals, glass, brick, rubber, concrete, stone, slate, hard plastic, fiberglass or tile; sealant on oil, gas and water tanks, gas liners, pressure tanks, plumbing, swimming pools, cellars, drains, underwater lights and stock tanks; filler for holes, castings, patterns, molds, voids and welds. Normally no vice or clamp needed. 30-40 minute working time at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. 90 minutes tack free, overnight for service, 1-2 weeks for max cure time. Nonconductive, -20 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit temperature range. Chemical resistance to mild acids, caustics, detergents, gas, fuel oil, salt and fresh water. 1,710 psi tensile shear strength. 72 hardness shore D after 1 week of curing.

i386

Captain

I'm intrigued.

I'll have to check my Ace Hardware too. I try to shop at ACE when I can before going to the big orange store across town. I have learned to have them open anything I buy that's in a can and check it before I leave. They found out every can they had of contact cement was dried out once.:D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I can't find marine tex anywhere locally in Canada. I was able to find 3M Premium Marine Filler, would this be a decent replacement for filling things such as screw/bolt holes as well as gouges and scratches to the keel/hull section of the boat prior to a re-paint or re-gel?

I noticed 3M also has a "high strength" version of their marine filler, which might be a better option if I can find it? This is a vinyl-ester product, rather than epoxy, so I could theoretically glass mat and resin over or under filled sections as well.

Hello Mack..

erm.. kinda helps if we know if your going to re-gel or paint..

You could theoretically use what you have on hand to repair .. I would suggest you grind and apply a few layers of mat over your Dash holes.

Make sure you have Full cure for whatever you use before you prime/paint.

Post cure is a big problem with repairs done incorrecly.

" I would use gelcoat, but I'm actually doing a complete re-paint on the boat, so in my application, I'm better off filling the holes with something else prior to all the sanding and paint." ..

why prime/paint ?

YD.