stronger stringer..?

nitmoles

Cadet
i was wondering what can be done if anything to strengthen both these stringers i am replacing. the boat is a 2650 fiberform flybridge. the stringer is approx. 6 inches high and they cut into it like 4 inches to fit the gas tank. i'm pretty sure i can't raise the tank much. any suggetions? thanks eric

Attachments

• 0619101441.jpg
    0619101441.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0619101441a.jpg
    0619101441a.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral
Re: stronger stringer..?

Change the tank, raise the deck or use double stringers that are lower profile.
Personally I would want to revert to original design, used good alum tanks cost peanuts on craigslist.

nitmoles

Cadet

well there really isn't anywhere else to put a tank. so if by changing the tank you mean smaller..... that won't work. it's only a 75 gal one now. range is already pretty bad....
anyone else?
or more specific on making what i have stronger?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hacks.

hi ....welcome to i boats.

you need to remove the tank and then fiberglass the stringer.
fiberglass is as strong as steel if applied properly.

if left open like that the stringer will rot in short time.

one good wrap of 1708 bi axe on both sides then use frayed chopped strand matt to cap the stringer.

if you want it really strong...cut the stringer a little lower, then add a fiberglassed peice of thin plywood under the tank..straddeling the glassed stringers.
glass the wood to the stringers.

as this will be a top coat of fiberglass....use waxed resin.

but remember...after the resin cures....you cant add more glass or resin unless you grind the wax off

for detailed instructions on glassing an area....read just about any thread...or read the first few pages of the hull thread in my sig

cheers
oops

nitmoles

Cadet

i'm pretty sure i've read the entire post. thanks again