Johnson 1973 20hp Need Help

ctrevis7

Seaman
I just purchased a 1973 Johnson 20hp last night and i took it out today and did not see water coming out. Do these models have pee holes for the water pump? and also the stop button or turn off button was missing from it how might i go about repairing it?

Thanks and God Bless

Cameron

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 1973 20hp Need Help

There motors did not have a "tell-tale". The water comes out of the exhaust port about 1/3rd the way down the lower unit. Do not try to run this motor on muffs, either. The lower unit needs to be about 1/2 the way up the lower unit.

The kill switch works by shorting the breaker points. Under the hood, there should be 2 black wires with quick disconnects on them. They come from the breaker points and are shorted by pushing the button.

Is the "stop" button on the motor, or is it missing? If it's missing PM me.

That motor will take a licking and keep on ticking.

Welcome to the forum.

ctrevis7

Seaman

Thanks so much. Should i try to install a peehole or should i just leaveit? and how do i tell if the waterpumpis working correctly? and the whole stop button was missing unfortunatley. Is this a good motor?im new to boats and dont know much about anything.

Thanks so much for all the help and God BLess

Cameron

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You can install a tell-tale if you want, those motors were never made with a tell-tale. If you keep an eye on the exhaust outlet you will know when the water pump is operating properly. The exhaust about 1/3 the way down the exhaust housing is where the water will come out, will not be a soild stream, but should be a healthy spit. If there is any doubt replace the pump.
Ithink those were great motors, if maintained properly they will last a life time.

ctrevis7

Seaman

IS 45 dollars to much to pay for one of these? and also how do i install a "tell tale"?

Thanks and God Bless

Cameron

jasper60103

Commander

IS 45 dollars to much to pay for one of these? and also how do i install a "tell tale"?

Thanks and God Bless

Cameron

yes, $45 is way too much for a simple push button switch. You can find one cheaper right here on iBoats. Also, if there's a FleetFarm near, you can use a horn switch, they were less than $5 if I recall correctly.

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

instead of a kill switch, I might suggest a MOB kill switch, does the same thing, but it comes with a tether to attach to your wrist or life vest.