Wood railing falling off fiberglass boat - Please Help!

Carmella

Recruit
I have a 12 ft fiberglass motorboat that has about a one inch strip of wood running down each side of the very top of the boat and a small wood deck on the front. Some of the wood is falling of the "railing" part and some of it is where the oars are used. How can I replace / repair this wood?

Here are some pics. One is to show the boat in general. One shows the lip of the wood that has broken off the bow of the boat. Two of them show where the inside of the railing has broken off near the front of the boat. And finally, one shows how the wood looks from the top, and is where the wood is coming off where the oar lock is connected.

Thank you!

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Wood railing falling off fiberglass boat - Please Help!

Welcome to iboats

I would use west system epoxy and cover the repair with uv resistant varnish.

Where are you in VT?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Carmella..welcome to Iboats..

Could I be bold in saying you should just sell one of those trailers in the backround :) ( unless your storing :) ) .

No really .. I would redeck the thing personally. Remove and replace with ply, glass and paint.

YD.

Carmella

Recruit

Thanks for your replies. What do do you mean ply, plywood? And I've never worked on a boat before I'm asking how exactly or what exactly to do to fix this.

Thank you!