1991 Force 120 - turns but won't fire

rschele

Recruit
Ok, here we go.......

Motor has been running fine but....... for the past 6 weeks I have had a problem keeping the battery charged. Was good for 2 to 3 times out and then would have to swap with a fresh charged battery. Also if the boat sat for a week or so the battery would discharge and have to be swapped out. So I'm thinking something was drawing current even when everything was off. Both batteries I have are less than 2 months old.

Last weekend I swapped for a freshly charged battery, boat started fine, ran fine, but noticed that voltmeter was at around 16 to 16.5 volts. Parked boat on Sunday, went to take out on Thursday. Battery needed to be changed which I was accustomed to...... Changed battery, engine turned over like a bat outta hell, but would not fire for anything.... I figured it was flooded so I just let it sit til Friday afternoon. Went out and tried the normal starting sequence. Turned over fine but still no spark. Disconnected black/yellow at engine and still no pop.

Maybe more info than needed but I didn't know if the draw / discharge issue lent any ideas as to what may have quit working...... HELP!!!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Force 120 - turns but won't fire

If you have a digital radio or a depthfinder.Either one can discharge the battery even when off.
Check the charging volts.Take a meter and test the battery when it's off.
Start it and check the voltage again.You might need to rev it up to make it charge.
See how it compares.
Is there a safety switch that came unhooked?Do a spark test.If you have spark,check timing.Have spark then check the fuel system then get a manual and start the tests.J

rschele

Recruit

I know I am getting fuel. Pulled plugs and they were all wet with fuel. Disconnected black/yellow at the motor as well as both wires at the cutoff switch and it didn't matter. Also pulled top plug and spark tested at engine ground and got nothing.... Can it be something under the flywheel, stator, trigger, etc.???

92rslt1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your volt meter is correct you are over charging. Its likely your stator was going out on you. However stators coils have 2 functions... to generate electric for charging and to generate electric for spark. I cant see how both circuits would die at once, but its definitely a possibility.

my guess is stator or trigger..