Shift cable removal help??

t_money662

Cadet
Anyone know how to get the shift cable out of this:
1283624727.jpg

it's a mercury 140, 1980-ish.
I took the throttle cable out to get to this but I can't figure out how to get the shift cable out. There was a nut I removed, but that wingnut looking thing won't budge.
Thanks on advance for any help!

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Shift cable removal help??

you arent trying to turn the [wingnut lookin thing ] r u? I thnk is just pulls straight up Coax with a screwdriver it looks as tho u have penatrating oil on it- no?

t_money662

Cadet

I tried to turn it and pull...turns out that it does indeed turn, it just needed a little encouragement. And yes, that was some PB blaster--the nuts were a little rusted.
So I pulled both the throttle cable and the shift cable am in the process of putting the new ones (2 Teleflex Marine engine control cables CC17914) and I hit another roadblock!

I guess the old cables were slightly different/longer on the end that attaches to the throttle lever. The length from the black cylinder/nub part to the end (where the hole is) is shorter on the new ones, so that I have to pull it out about 2" to attach it. The problem is when I do that the amount of "stroke" the cable has is not long enough to fully shift from forward to reverse. Here;s a comparison of the new vs old cables:
newoldcables.jpg

**NOTE: Both cables are shown with the inner rod pushed in as far as it can go--maximum "stroke" for the opposite end of the cable. New one is on the left.

Here's the back of the throttle assembly where they attach:
throttle2.jpg

Like I said, I can make them long enough to work, but then I don't have enough stroke. Are there adapters/extensions that they sell that can fix this issue, or am I going to have to buy a new throttle lever assembly?? I'm thinking maybe mine is too old to work with the newer cables?:confused:

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are you sure you have the right cable?

t_money662

Cadet

Are you sure you have the right cable?

Well, yes and no... turns out the current control box isn't a mercury like the engine. Previous owner swapped engines (converted from an inboard to the merc 140 outboard that' in there now) but never changed the control box (shift/throttle lever). SO when I bought new cables to fit to a mercury outboard, I guess they come compatible to fit mercury motors AND control boxes.
I don't know if they even make the cables that were on there anymore-- compatible with mercury motor and a non-mercury control box.. maybe someone else might chime in ad tell me if that is a good assumption.:)

But I guess the fix for my situation would be to buy a new MERCURY control box that the cables are meant to fit. I have been looking online( ebay, etc..) and man are they EXPENSIVE!:mad:
Brand new almost $200?? That's 1/4 what I paid for the boat!
I found one at mt local prop shop, used for $85 but it looked kinda rough.
Anyone know where I can find a mercury box for a "reasonable" price?? Could be used (good shape though) or new, oem or non-oem..as long as it works and looks decent..and fits my cables of course!
Thanks

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd say to keep looking on Ebay or craigslist. Actually $200 isn't that bad for a new control box. I think the one for my Sea Ray was $465. Thats the problem with getting a good deal on an older boat and motor. When you start replacing parts they can add up quickly.