Wakeboard racks moving around.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
First time out on the boat, and a storm rolled in and chopped the water up a little. Not big waves, by any means.

Anyways, the wakeboard rack started to shift around on the tower.

Is this normal?

We were doing maybe 25 mph, but the boat was rocking around a bit.

Mounted by a single clamp with a rubber gasket. See pic.

It is tight enough that I took the wakeboard off and could not move it back by hand. Going to need to loosen the screws to move it. I have new gaskets in various sizes. Might go to next size thicker and get it to bind.

Attachments

• gx185.jpg
    gx185.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Wakeboard racks moving around.

Aerial rack I presume? They suck. And the only reason is their "universal fit" design with the rubber gaskets. Nature of the beast. Next size thicker gasket will indeed hold it tighter, but it will get all bunched up and will look like crap. Been there, done that.

$33 solution: Contact DIY wake and purchase the appropriate clamp from them that is specifically designed to fit the diameter of your tower:
http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=72&cat=Wakeboard+Tower+Clamps

It'll look cleaner, wobble less, and it will never move again. And yes, the DIY wake clamp will fit your Aerial rack perfectly.

I suffered thru this too...for only one day. My advice to everyone who reads this: Do not buy any rack that claims universal fit via multiple rubber gaskets. Fit and appearance are both poor.

scooper77515

Thanks for the feedback.

For the holiday weekend, I took a chunk of rubberized cork gasket and added it under the existing rubber gasket. Trimmed so you cannot see it and so it wouldn't bunch up.

Just a short term fix, most likely. But should hold through Labor Day.

I did notice that the previous owner used the correct gasket, and when he cinched it down, the two pieces came together and actually touched on each end. After I put the cork gasket in there, there is about 1/32" gap on both sides, so I probably cinched it down tighter than he did.

Fingers crossed :rolleyes:

oldjeep

Admiral

Just use the next size gasket and trim it a tad shorter if it bunches up. Its not rocket science.

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just use the next size gasket and trim it a tad shorter if it bunches up. Its not rocket science.

That is what I did and it works perfect. You don't have to buy anything........

scooper77515

I kept those other gaskets, but they are for my mirror, and only half as wide. I may need to buy another set if the cork doesn't continue to hold up.

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have some extra PM me if you do need them...........