Motor laying on it's side?

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. I transport my 14' jon boat to the ramp in the bed of the truck with a bed extender because I have nowhere to keep a trailer and the boat extends past the back of the extender by about 2 or 3 feet.

I just upgraded to a 15hp from a 6 and the motor is much heavier. I'm thinking i'm going to want to haul the motor laying in the bed next to the boat instead of on the transom like I used to so I don't put too much stress on the rear of the boat.

Is it alright to transport the motor like this with gas in the carburetor? Or should I run the carb. out of gas first?

Thanks for any advice,

Mike

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Motor laying on it's side?

no trouble with my 15 hp mariner 2010 model.can be layed on its front,back or side opposite to which my tiller handle is on.mainly to keep oil in engine but did notice no liquids or fumes leaking.for your satisfaction running fuel down will give you peace of mind.remember when the engine is on your transom and tilted all the way up fuel shouldn't leak out.older engines may have an extra lump cast on side of engine to show u which side to lay it on.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If its a 4 stroke you need to make sure you lay it down on the correct side, this information will be in the manual. On a 2 stroke it can be laid it down, but make sure all of the water has been drained out of the block and lower unit. The reason is that water left in the motor can find its way into the engine via the exhaust system (this goes for either 2 or 4S models). Running it dry or draining the float bowls can help keep fuel from leaking out.

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice

It's a 2-stroke. How do I make sure all the water is out of it?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Make sure its stood straight up so the water can drain out. If the motor is tilted up while its in the water, then water will be trapped in the lower unit, if the lower unit it raised above the power head its possible for water to enter the motor.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Never tilt the lower unit of any outboard higher than the powerhead. Trapped water can run downhill into the powerhead which is tilted lower than the lower unit. Did I say that so it makes sense?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

best not to lay them spark-plug down for any length of time; the oil residue in the motor will drip into and lock up the cylinders. Should be no problem for a drive.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

and don't forget not to lay it on the shifter side. Those things can break off if too much stress is put on them.

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice

alright, thanks. I belive the spark plug side is the same as the shifter side. I think im going to be laying it with the back of the cowling facing down with the tiller facing straight up