56 evinrude 30 - want to convert to fuel pump

rsavage

Cadet
I have 2 1956 Evinrude 30's. One a Lark and one a standard with a tiller. I finished restoring the 1956 Lyman I am going to put one on (and the gator trailer) so now I am working on getting one or both running. Started with the Lark and put new points condensers and coils in it, along with a new impeller. Tried starting it yesterday in a barrel on a homemade stand and wasn't getting gas past the carb. Took the carb off and apart today and it was clean but I cleaned everything. Tried to fire it up again and still no gas past carb. Pressure tank doesn't seem to make or hold pressure - only enough to fill the glass bowl. When I take the cap off the tank after pumping it - no pressure whoosh. Took it apart and used carb cleaner on pickup tube valve near through pick up screen and got it to shake. Put it back together, pumped it a few times and had gas coming out around top of tank- grrrr. SO, I am about ready to see if I can convert the motors to a single line with fuel pump. I read the info on the FAQ section. It doesn't appear that either of the 30's have the covers with the raised bosses. Are these covers interchangeable from various years/models? If so what am I looking for? Thanks for the help (sorry for the long post).

This is what I am putting it on:

"
CIMG1038.jpg
"

lindy46

Captain
Re: 56 evinrude 30 - want to convert to fuel pump

Pumping the button on a pressure tank does not pressurize the tank. It only pumps fuel into the motor. The tank doesn't pressurize until the motor is running and providing air back into the tank. Sounds like your carb cleaning wasn't successful. Did you try spraying pre-mixed fuel directly into the carb throat? Try that, and if it fires up and then dies, there is a problem with the carb. If it doesn't fire at all, then there is a problem with the spark. Nice Boat:)

rsavage

Cadet

Thanks much for the info. I have a carb kit coming from NAPA but the closest one was in Ohio so I'll pull it off again next week when they get it in. Spark is good. Plugs are dry. I will try the premix in the carb before pulling it off again. I did put some premix in the cylinders and it fired yesterday - that's why I went to the carb today. Do you know if there is a "bypass" plate with the fuel pump bosses (I guess it is called) from a later model that will fit my 56?

lindy46

Captain

Don't know about the bypass plate. There are others on here who have done the conversion, and could probably chime in. I always like to keep my motors original, so I haven't done the conversion. I figure adding a fuel pump is just another thing to go wrong, and I have never had a problem with the old pressure systems.