Okay, Serious Question here!!!!!Grrrr...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Where in the heck do the bolts go?????????????????????????????

Was putting my lower unit back on the motor this morning and had a bit of a mishap, had to tear the lower unit back off, found out the shift dog had got jammed in the lower gear housing, got that all fixed and put the lower unit back on the motor, and low and behold, can't find one of the shift rod coupling bolts...

Where the heck do these things disappear to? I had it this morning when I put it back together, had it this afternoon, then all of a sudden, gone, no show, no sign of it, I tore the lower unit apart again!!! just to make sure it didn't drop into the well, but I will be darned if I can find that bolt!

Geeze, talk about frustrating!

:confused:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Okay, Serious Question here!!!!!Grrrr...

I got a yellow lab that will sneak off with anything that she can get in her mouth, have to chase her out of the shop all the time. You got a dog?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Well both the golden's have since left us, they are both in matching book end boxes on the mantel, so I think odds are they are not guilty this TIME!!! But they used to do the same thing to me!

:D

Man, that sure brings back some great times, I imagine I looked like a fool chasing them around the yard!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

That bolt probably went down the same hole mine did. Every shop has that same hole in the floor and must be chuck full of nuts and bolts:D

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Sitting down in the gearcase perhaps?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

It could be still in the socket that you used to remove it....look in the top of your tool box.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

It could be still in the socket that you used to remove it....look in the top of your tool box.

It's either this or you will find it in the pocket of something you were wearing but forgot about. Maybe you took a break and tossed a vest or shirt, later got back to the job and forgot ....

dwco5051

Commander

Many years ago I was putting a head back on a 6 cyl Chevy motor and when I was all done and putting all the tools away I realized I was missing a half inch socket. Last I remember seeing it was on top of one of the pistons while I was fixing a generator bracket. Tried looking in the plug holes but could not see anything so back off the head came. No socket there. Leaned against the shop wall to try and think back where it might be and lo and behold I felt something in my back pocket. Guess I don't have to go any farther in this story.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I believe it's under that shop rag...that one right over there.......

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Any parts that you drop ALWAYS bounce way under the workbench. The NEVER bounce out on the open floor where you can see them. Same reason a PBJ bread always lands jelly side down.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Ye ha, happy days are hear again, the motor is back together and shifting exactly like it should, there may in fact be hope for going fishing this weekend...

Happy days are hear again! (Until the next time! :p )