1972 50hp Evinrude w/electric shift

Hi All.

We put off the big boat purchase for a little while and so I got a "project boat" to keep me busy.

It's an old 16 ft. Lowe fishing boat, came with a '73 Evinrude and I need some help in a couple of areas. The motor had sat for awhile and I don't know much about it. I replaced the switch, cleaned the carbs, drained the gas, put in new plugs, and it fires right up. The bottom cylinder has lower compression (170 on top, 140 bottom) and I will eventually have to rebuild it.

Where my immediate concerns are, is with the lower unit. I dropped it to change the water pump and saw lots of water and bad oil. I also noticed the water pump only had 3 bolts on it, and the impeller was cracked at the hub and the key thing had come out. I fixed all that and have a new pump on that is working good.

How concerned should I be with the oil right now? Could the water have gotten in somewhere from a loose water pump cover or seal? I filled it back up and ran it again (on muffs in the driveway). It doesn't have the right gear oil for the Evinrides and so I know I will need to drain it again anyway I just thought I'd try it a few times and see what the oil looks like when I drain it again. If it isn't bad I will take it to the lake and see what happens?

Any thoughts?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1973 50hp Evinrude w/electric shift

Are you sure it is an electric shift, what is the model number?

Yes, I'm sure. It's 50273-C

I took off the solenoid cover and replaced that gasket yesterday. I saw some oil had congealed in the exhaust by the prop. Now I'm wondering if maybe that seal is the one that is leaking? Is it hard to replace that seal?

Thanks,

Steve

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

That clears it up, 50273C = 1972 not 73.

Ah! Thanks, that helps.

How do you remove the front seal in the prop shaft? Anyone?

Thanks,

Steve

Re: 1972 50hp Evinrude w/electric shift

Thanks.

I guess what I was talking about was #31 in that diagram, the oil retainers. Is there a way to change those without pulling the whole bearing housing? Looking at mine, it looks like it has started to come apart.

csxiy976663dbvfwbjy.jpg

p6rkj8qavfqwg56jtjxm.jpg

Specifically, it looks like I can see metal from the retainer, like maybe the rubber has come off or disintegrated? Not really sure if I am seeing this right.

Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

To replace the seals properly the bearing housing will have to come out. The metal you see is actually a tension spring for the seal, it is supposed to look like that (exposed).
Is that the only reason you want to change the seals, do you have water in your lower unit?

Thanks again Daviet. Yes, when I first drained the oil there was water in the lower unit. I don't know much about the motor other than it had been sitting. When I took a look at that retainer, I thought that was the obvious place for a leak. I don't have much money in this motor and I'm not sure it's worth it to rebuild the lower unit, so I'm hoping for an easy fix.

I think at this point I will put it in the water with the new water pump, solenoid gasket, and drain plug o-rings, and hope for no leak. If it does get water in again I'll have to decide what to do.

Looking at the manual, it looks like tearing down the whole lower unit is a pretty involved process?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Resealing the lower unit does not require a complete teardown, the bearing housing is the only major part that has to be removed. You do not have to remove any shafts or gears. Did your drain plugs have o-rings? The parts breakdown shows gaskets, you cannot use o-rings unless the plugs have a recess in the backside to fit the o-ring.

That is good to know about the re-sealing, I will have to look into the manual a little more. Sounds like thats the way to go though.

O rings = poor choice of words on my part. They are gaskets.

A sincere Thank You for your help and time!