Mercruiser Alpha 1, Gen 2

pudders

Recruit
Well I just inherited a boat from my father. However my brother inlaw, thought he would fix thing's up. Needless to say I think he has screwed up the upper and lower outdrive, he kept mumbling that the gears were not right.

So I guess it is my project now. This is a 1994 Renken Seamaster boat. Does anyone know how to figure out what size engine is in this thing? I know it's an 8 cylinder... This seems to be the kicker on trying to figure out what parts I need to get this thing fixed. I am thinking of just buying a new outdrive to get it in the water again.

Next thing will be to install all new gauges at the console. So if ya have a wiring diagram that would be great too.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser Alpha 1, Gen 2

If its a V-8 its either a 305 or a 350 unless its a big boat 23+ footer in which case it could be a 454. It should say somewhere what it is though, 350 mag. was a popular engine at that time, unless its a 18 footer then its probably a 305. All are chev motors the 305 and 350 even share the same block for the most part. What is it doing or not doing that the whole outdrive is toast?? It could be a myriad of things but we need more info as to the problems that exist to give any sort of a guess as to whats wrong. As for the guages are the current ones missing or just bad if just bad replace each one with a similar unit and wire it the same as it was. It may be other issues though not saqying that the guages aren't bad but they are pretty hardy units typically. I have seen 35 year old guages that have been only protected by the windshield and they still work. Post some pics with more detail of the drive problems would be a good start to getting back on the water. I just realized my error they didn't put a alpha one behind a 454 so its either a 350 or 305.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

they didn't put a alpha one behind a 454 so its either a 350 or 305.

mercruiser did put alpha drives behind 454's for a bit in the mid 80's

this was before they sold the Bravo drive

in the 90's, yes the V-8's would most likely be 305/350 cid in front of an alpha

to answer the OP's question you will need to get the engine model # and serial # and the drive serial #

the model and serial numbers should be located on the flame arrestor cover on top of the engine, mod # will be something like MCM 5.7 Liter or similar

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Right but since its a 1994 its got to be a 5.2 or 5.7 unless someone has done some "stuff" to it.